External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by khaoula, May 10, 2010.

1. khaoula

khaoula Private E-2

Hello guys!

I'm new in the forums and I already checked the other similar threads but they're very old and they didn't answer my problem.

I have an external hrad drive that i've been using for a while. and at some point it asked me to put a password when I created a new file in it. I didn't pay attention and I actually wrote a password. And since then the hard drive doesn't work in any other computer (I tried a lot of laptops and desktops) and even in my computer the data became full of errors.

Does anyone know I can remove that password thing and get back my data safe.

Thanks a lot

2. pepsi100

pepsi100 Guest

A bit more info would be good, type, size, make, ?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Also what Windows version and service pack (if applicable) are you using?

4. khaoula

khaoula Private E-2

Um... I have no idea, but i'll tell you what is written on it.

2.5" SATA External case

Serial ATA

I don't know if this answers ur question... sorry >_<
    I'm using windows 7 (remember it works on my computer) and I tried it on other computers with Vista and XP and it was working on them fine until i put that password and then it stopped working.

Hope this helps... am so desperate for this to get solved

Thanks

5. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Do you have backups of the data on the drive elsewhere?

Because at this point I would recommend a complete drive format to remove the password manager.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds