External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sanitarium89, Dec 10, 2014.

1. sanitarium89

sanitarium89 Private E-2

I have an external hard drive that is no longer coming up when I plug it into anything. I tried both my computers and blu Ray player. It has worked on all of them before. I've tried device manager it doesn't show up on there. My computer acts like nothing is pluged in but the hard drive fires up and has power. Please help.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try replacing the USB cable. They're the cheapest and weakest link. I've had to replace several of mine for the same or similar reasons.

3. sanitarium89

sanitarium89 Private E-2

I just tried that it didn't work but thanks.

4. nightwin

nightwin Private E-2

I started having that problem about two weeks ago. Usually when I plug the hard drive it, the install device icon would display letting me know when the drive is ready. Now when I connect my hard drive and turn it on, nothing happens. Every once in a while, if my computer is in a good mood, it will recognize it, but when I select safely remove the hard drive option, it won't let me because the drive is still running a program. I scanned for viruses and ran malwarebytes anti-malware and was clean.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

One of the things with USB is that it can get confused with multiple devices, so drive letters that are allocated to one device is confused with another, so bets option that does work in majority of cases is to open device manager and plug in the non working device and in the Universal Serial Bus Controllers branch is to uninstall the USB Mass Storage Device and then re-plug in the device and the driver will re-install to a new device letter.

6. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Which version of Windows are you running? I have an external data storage hard drive that gives me the same type of message when I choose "safely remove". There is a setting that will make the drive "hot swappable" and you won't have to use "safely remove". But, do as DavidGP says first.

7. sanitarium89

sanitarium89 Private E-2

I'm running windows 7 and 8. I tried it on both my computers. Plus my bluray player.

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which advice have you tried on both your PCs? was it mine on the Device Manager or mdonah's on Hot Swappable?

Just so we know where we are up to.

How many USB devices do you have plugged into your PC?

9. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Hi, I have had the same problem, fixed it myself!! I took the whole case apart and found that the hard drive had slipped off the connecting pins, pushed it back on and reassembled. All working now. Maybe try this before binning it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds