External hard drive problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Moviegeek37, Mar 25, 2015.

1. Moviegeek37

Moviegeek37 Private E-2

I have all seagate barricuda hard drives. I was using them with a USB connection and external power supply. The disks now can not be accessed as they fail the SMART test. I have tried to use the Disk Management program and sometimes I can see the disk but can not access it. I can not initial the disk nor format it. How can I solve the problem. I can now connect each disk directly to my motherboard via SATA connection and the computers power supply. Still I have Disks which show they have data, fali the SMART test and show as RAW.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

2. Moviegeek37

Moviegeek37 Private E-2

Sorry I did not give details of my computer. I have Windows 8.1 as OS, I have 120GB SSD for operating system, a 1TB internat HD, with a cd/DVD Drive. I have Intel i5 quad core CPU, 16 GB DDR3 RAM and am able to connect a Hard Drive directly to my Motherboard and to the machines power supply. When my Hard drive is connected to computer should be viewed as an internal Hard Drive and it is. However it gives a message that it fails the SMART Test. The disks used to be connected via USB and I had more than one connected at the same time. Windows caused the problems on the hard Drives when so connected and offered to Scan the Hard Drive. I was reluctant to do this for fear of causing data problems and that was the start of the problems.

How can I get out of this mess ( I have 4 HD's so infected all filled with movies. Even if I have to format again this I can live with although I would prefer to get the data back if I could. Any suggestion for me would be much appreciated.

Thank you again
    :-o

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds