External hard drive stops working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SwingKid, Feb 20, 2010.

1. SwingKid

SwingKid Private E-2

I recently got a Toshiba 1TB external hard drive new from a friend. The problem I'm having is that often, when using the hard drive a message pops up telling me that the drive has stopped working ("HDDprop.exe has stopped working and has to close" or stopped responding). Any idea why this may be happening? It's rather annoying.

I'm running vista home premium, and I run it through the USB (though I am unsure whether this makes any difference).

Any help is much appreciated.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

This is a Toshiba HDD Monitor app to basically tell you if your HDD is dying! lots of use that, deleted it fromt he startup list on a Toshiba laptop yesterday from a collegue in works new laptop, download and run this StartupCPL and then untick HDDprop.exe from the startup list and reboot and you should be ok.

Likely the app is corrupt and faulting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds