External Hard Drive won't complet check disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by stopads, May 10, 2007.

1. stopads

stopads Private E-2

Greetings everyone,

I'm having a problem with my external TOSHIBA MK6006GAH hardtrive. When I try to run a checkdisk I'm getting an error "Windows was unable to complete the disk check." Does that mean that my external hard drive is going bad and is there a way to fix this? What other maintenance can I do to correct this problem? Please let me know. Any ideas would help. Thanks again.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Are you running CHKDSK /R ? - AND FROM YOUR PC HARD DRIVE, OR THE USB HARD DRIVE, AND ARE YOU RUNNING IT ON STARTUP, OR, FROM THE RUN BOX ?
    I find less problem from the start, run. Have you tried it from computer management console ?
    It is worth trying all these ways, before giving in on a hard drive.
    Also you can download the manufacturers diagnostic tools - most from majorgeeks.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I would, however, suggest you start saving any valuable data now, and consider a replacement drive, asap.When errors take humbridge to fixing, it is not a good sign.
    If you have one early enough, you can connect it and either do a drive copy, with manufactures tools, or set it as master and install your operating system on it, with the old drive as a slave, to copy over files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds