External Harddrive. BIG problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Peterk5699, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Peterk5699

Peterk5699 Private E-2

Hi all,

I recently bought a 200gb hard drive which worked fine the 1st few times I plugged it in but now it's giving me problems. Each time I plug it in it either doesn't wanna know about it or acknowledges the USB item and then it stupidly asks for a driver to be installed. But why ask for a driver when it's plug and play?

Here's the process of how I put it all together:

1. Plug in power lead and USB lead to hard drive and hub
    2. Turn on laptop and wait for it to open
    3. Then the buble in the bottom right hand corner appears with the message "A new USB item has been found"
    4. I'll click that message and then the "Found new hardware wizard" opens

Now, if I click continue in this wizard it will search for a driver which doesn't exist. If I click cancel the message saying "You're hardware was not full installed and may not work properly" appears.

Does anyone know how I can get it to work as it should - as a plug and play?

Help will be greatly appreciated,

Thanx,
    Pete :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds