external harddrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by PC Picard, May 1, 2013.

1. PC Picard

PC Picard Private E-2

I have an internal harddrive, that I wanted to make to an external drive, tat I can connect to my network. This way I can see it from several of my computers, if I can connected to my network. If its possible I need assistance on what kind of adapter I would need.

thanks

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

You need to search for "hard drive enclosures" on a site like Newegg or Amazon. Be sure to get one that is the right size (2.5" or 3.5") and connection type (IDE or SATA) to match the drive you have.

There are two basic ways to network it:

a.) Attach it to a PC that has file sharing/discovery enabled. The catch is the PC must be turned on for the drive to be recognized on the network. A USB connected drive enclosure is usually much less expensive than an enclosure that connects directly to a network (see below).

b.) Buy an enclosure that can be connected directly to a network. Search for "NAS enclosure" or "Network Attached Storage Enclosure" - again, be sure to purchase the correct size and connection type to match your existing drive.

Hope this helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds