external hardrive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ferg46, Dec 8, 2006.

1. ferg46

ferg46 Private First Class

hey guys ,
    thinking of buying an external hardrive but aint sure how they work exactly i.e
    i have around 600cds so
    1)can i rip directly to the hard drive
    2)can i manage all cds on hd using a prog like windows media player or does it have to do a scan and import every time i connect the hd
    thanks for help

2. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

what kind of external HD you have in mind?
    do you need capacity, small size, what?

3. soldier_4_jesus1

soldier_4_jesus1 Private E-2

See, there are many flavors of external hard drives.
    You have external drives that can run off of USB power, and are small. But are slower and have less hard drive space (like 100GB).
    Then you have Externals that need to be pluged into an outlet and the sky is the limit with these babys. You can anywhere from 160Gb to 750GB of storage goodness.

Now, if you are riping cds to a hard drive, its easy. Lets take Windows media player for example. Open Windows media player, go to tool---> options. Then to the copy music tab, and then to the "copy music to this location. Tell it where to store it. And you good.

4. ferg46

thanks for help... ok thinking down the lines im prob gonna need 320gb so if i was to load all my cds onto it then whenever i disconnect it from my laptop and reconnect it would i have to get programmes like picassa and windows media player to do a scan and import all files AGAIN or would the progs recognise the hardrive sorry for complications appreciate help

5. Sailor

Sailor First Sergeant

this would suit you best
    An external desktop hard disk (3.5") It works just like a normal HD. Good points: large capacity (up to 1 TB!), high speed (7200rpm), multiple connection types (USB 2.0/Firewire/e-sata) and the low cost. Drawbacks:big size and weight, wich means you will have to carry it in a suitcase or somethin together with the shunt transformer. Also there are not many of these hds produced by big names. The most economic solution is to buy an external hd case and place a no name IDE inside.

6. ferg46

great help thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds