External HDD 3+TB compatible with my old computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Michael1980, Dec 6, 2014.

1. Michael1980

Michael1980 Private First Class

hi

i wanted to know if my computer was capable of handing a external hdd that is higher in storage than 2 tb? i have several 2tb externals and would like to upgrade to something bigger. i had my eye on a 5tb drive on amazon. here is my specs

Windows 8.1 Professional (x64) (build 9600)
    Gateway DX4300 P01-A1

if there's any other info needed please let me know. also i remember asking someone if my computer was compatible a external greater than 2tb and he said i wasn't cause of my BIOS being outdated. can that be updated by a download?

thanks in advance.

P.S. is it true that the higher capacity hdd's tend to fail sooner than smaller size hdd's?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

The old hard drive issues should be a thing of the past but you're not having that issue. That used to be a hard drive plugged into the controllers. This is USB and should be auto detected perfectly.

3. Michael1980

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Can u tell me tho if the larger capacity Hdds that are higher than 2tb more likely to die sooner than 2tb or lower Hdds? I think I read that somewhere.

4. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Google "best largest external harddrive + reliability" and you'll get plenty of info on topic and many drives.

5. Major Attitude

Future reference, Google the answer is NEVER the answer. Thanks.

6. Michael1980

are you saying not to use google for the search terms Imandy Mann suggested? i just wanna know for sure.

also before i decide to purchase one of these higher than 2tb external drives i have to let you know my computer is around 4 to 5 years old. but it still runs to my satisfaction. will a computer that old be a problem? and just to clarify i don't have to worry about my BIOS?? i guess ill have to search for a updated BIOS driver if its a problem.

thanks guys so far with the replies. i appreciate it :)

7. Major Attitude

No, you can. We just don't like people using that as an answer as that is a pretty easy one.

By the way, I still don't think it will be a problem.

8. Michael1980

hi guys

thanks for the help. but last question can someone confirm if 2+tb external hdds have a shorter life span than 2tb or lower external drives?

thanks in advance.

9. Michael1980

nevermind i found the answer to my question. thanks again guys for your help. i appreciate it :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds