External USB Seagate Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BLOND37, Mar 1, 2010.

1. BLOND37

BLOND37 Private First Class

1.0 2GHJ7ECG ST310005EXA101 Seagate Desktop External Drive 1000GB

In summer 2008 I bought the above drive (from Best But I think)

Last month the drive started going out - the green light would go off and it would no longer be recognized by my laptop. To reinterate, this problem only started a month or so...

I have not changed anything in my configuration..

I have tried the USB drive in a different port and have the same problem.. besides the power on the drive goes out so I don’t think it’s a USB issue.

I chatted with a Seagate tech today who told me I needed to go to radio shack and have something done with the AC adapter but I didn’t buy it there. Also Seagate rep told me to try another PC but I don’t have one..

I am concerned that I spent good hard earned money on this drive and its lasting only a year and that I might lose my data..

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Good possibility it has failed, does it work at all now?

Or does it just fail at the first hurdle?

3. BLOND37

works fine for days..not sure what u mean first hurdle

4. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

You could probably look for an AC adapter replacement at some place like NewEgg.com. Or you could take the adapter you're using to Radio Shack or Staples and have them match and replace it with one of their own.

Most reputable hard drives come with at least a 3 year manufactures warranty. The Seagate drives usually come with a 5 year manufactures warranty. So if the problem is with the drive itself then you should be able to get a replacement under warranty. I don't believe the warranty covers the AC adapter, the USB or firewire cables and connectors.

Just in case the drive itself is going bad, you might want to start copying your important data from the external drive and burning it to some DVD's or CD's.

5. BLOND37

uggghhh!!!!!! but i have over 500GB of data..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds