Extra memory- is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pervnerve, Aug 10, 2004.

1. pervnerve

pervnerve Private First Class

Hi

I'm sure this question has been asked several times, but it's different with every case (no pun) so please bear with me.

Okay, my rig:

Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
    80GB SATA, 40 GB IDE
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Santa Cruz
    ...and 512 MB PC3200 Corsair valueram

Now, for just pitching $80, I can get another stick of 512 raising it to 1GB (I know I won't really need more than that), but I'd like to know other's opinions. You're gonna ask what I do mainly, so I'll answer in ranking of most CPU intensive to least, assuming I do all fairly equally.

1) Video authoring
    2) DVD dec/encoding :cool:
    3) Gaming (UT04, BF: Vietnam, & eventually Doom3) ;)
    4) Surfing
    5) Music organizing/mass editing

I know it's fairly vague, but I, as almost any geek, try to do almost everything with my PC. Get back to me. Thanks! :)

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

i just added another stick of 512 to my rig, and i noticed a nice performance increase when gaming...not a big increase in other apps, but noticable. imo, its worth it.

3. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If you won't miss the money, yes. 512MB will be OK, but the extra memory definitely won't hurt.

4. aLLiKZar

aLLiKZar It's not too late to back out!

YES! A little memory never hurt anybody. You should see a performance increase with adding an extra stick. You might want to see what the maximum size of memory your board can handle.

5. pervnerve

I think it's 3GB, but I'm a college student... I can't afford 3x 1GB sticks, let alone one. ;)

6. pervnerve

Thanks you three for your input. :) Greatly appreciated

7. dperino

dperino Capt. Caveman

I have the same board, same 3200 - 512 memory. I had another stick of PC2100 memory sitting around, so I put it in, slowed the PC3200 down to match it, and they are running in Dual channel. I have noticed an increase in programs opening, and executing. Probably due more to the dual channel than the 1 gig,, but I'll take that.

8. BeerMonkey

BeerMonkey Master Sergeant

Well, 512 is recommnded for gamers.
    But everyone knows that bigger is better for Gaming, and other uses.
    I have 769MB DDR PC3200 RAM.

9. pervnerve

Thanks you all for your tips. Just fyi, I ordered the memory yesterday (along with a new case: Antec Sonata.. hehe).

This site's growing on me. The quickness of everyone's responses really surprised me. I'm used to waiting for at least a couple days on other forums, not a couple minutes. ;)

Good idea. Even though I already bought the memory, I'll do that anyway when I get home from work, just for curiosity's sake. Thanks Mastertech.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds