EXTREMELY slow, playing-up computer. Hellllllllllp!!!

Discussion in 'Software' started by miso, Apr 25, 2009.

1. miso

miso Private E-2

I am honestly at my wits end, trying to sort out what's wrong with my computer. I have tried my (paid) technical help, telephone advice from my ISP & I am none the wiser.

I have an old (with a couple of upgrades) computer. External modem. And am on dial-up.(though broadband is starting to look like looking like sooner, rather than later!) Open Office, rather than Word.

These (below) are the problems I've been experiencing in the past few weeks (after having all programs removed & some reinstalled about a month ago -another story!) Dial-up is not great, speed-wise, I know. But there has been a definite deterioration of performance of late.

I think it might be easiest to list the problems I've been experiencing, in point form. (I wish my knowledge of the proper technical terms was better. I hope I can make myself clear, but please be patient.)

OK, here goes!:

* My computer has been MUCH slower (than before the removal & replacement of existing programs a month ago).
    * For example, my security updates (like internet sites, too) take much longer to download. The speed fluctuates dramatically , from stretches at 0 bytes, to sudden jumps to 3+ bytes. At times the updates have cut out altogether, because of the slowness. It appears to be a "stop and start" process.
    *I have received quite a number of Microsoft "error" messages. Like "the program is not responding" (to my prompt to exit a site, for example) Then the (Microsoft) diagnostic information tells me that a problem cannot be detected, & to try refreshing the page, etc ... to no avail.
    * I'm also experiencing marked delays while scrolling & "clicking" onto new sites. At times I experience what I'd describe as "text overlap" & distortion of the page I'm viewing while scrolling or using the cirsor. Once again a stop/start experience.

The advice I've received so far has varied from "change to broadband", get a new modem, or remove all programs (again!) & start again.

Is there anything from my descriptions here (and I'm sure I've missed a few other "symptoms") that indicate what the problem with my computer might be? (Please ask more questions if necessary!) Any informed advice would be most welcome!

2. Drizzles

Drizzles First Sergeant

Ok, for starters, change to broadband would be a great start lol ... plus you'll get a new modem when you switch to broadband anyway ... secondly ... I'm guessing all of your problems are with the internet then??? Thirdly, what are your computers specs and what OS are you running??

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As mentioned above will need to know some basics like PC specs, and if your PC is a OEM built one like Dell, HP etc then give us the model number as it will help, what Windows version and service pack used.

Could you explain this more as to what you changed a month ago?

If this has just changed in reguards to internet speed, then I would not be assuming its the fault of the Dialup modem, but another cause, this could be linked to what you changed a month or so ago, if you changed security programs do let us know what your running, you could do a test and disable your Antivirus and Firewall to see if one of them is slowing your internet.

What is the connection speed your modem is getting, should depending on windows version adn modem be able to see this when hovering over the modem/network icon in the system tray (area near clock at bottom right) or do a test like this one http://www.speedtest.net/

Would need to know the actual error messages to help with whats the cause, but check Event Viewer in Control Panel > Admin Tools if using XP or above and look for any error messages that woudl be the ones your getting,

This could be due to needing to update your graphics card driver, so again the model PC or graphics card used will help us get you correct drivers, also look in Device Manager and do you have any yellow ! marks, if so what are they next too?

To find this info you can use the likes of Everest to find this info, at times a summary log of your PC can help, to do this

Install Everest and run
    Click Report (top menu) > Report Wizard > Next
    Choose All Pages > Next
    Choose Plain Text > Finish and wait for report to generate
    Click Save to File and leave the File Name as Report, then click the Save as Type dropdown and choose Report files (*txt) and click Save (n.b. Save to desktop is best as easy place to find it, use Browse to locate desktop)

Then attach your log to your next post as per these instructions HOW TO: Attach Items To Your Post

4. miso

miso Private E-2

Thanks for your response, Drizzles. As I might have mentioned, I'm not exactly terrific with computer terminology & I'm sure this is making things more difficult to understand at your end. This sounds pretty dumb, I know, but I'm not clear on what's meant by "computer specs" & which "OS" I'm running. (Don't worry if all of this is simply too hard to explain, OK?)

5. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

To be of help we need to know the Make, Model, and any technical info you can tell us about the computer such as processor speed and are you on dsl, cable or dial up.
    Also, most important is it Windows XP or Vista or ??

6. miso

miso Private E-2

Thank you so much, Halo, for such a detailed response! I think it might be best for me to repond in a series of posts. rather than try & answer all your queries at one time. A lot to take in! :-o

First, some background: My computer is what I'd describe as a "DEll generic model" circa late 1990s (I did say it was old!). I'm not certain about the serial number. It's had a couple of serious updates (via paid technical help - which I've always relied on, for obvious reasons).
    A little over a month ago, I was informed that one of the employees for my long-term computer tech has "passed on" clients' information to god knows where. (!) Ensuing legal problems as a result. Trouble is, I found out quite a time after the event & had been receiving some "unusual" emails (like repeat requests to renew my security system (then Trend) when my tech had already done it for me. Also a few performance problems, but nothing too major at that stage ....

OK. So I immediately changed my password with my ISP & changed computer techs. Still more performance problems. It was decided that some programs should be removed from the computer. This prooved to difficult & time consuming , so ALL existing programs were removed (like Microsoft Office, Word, etc, etc ...) Unfortunately all programs have not been able to be replaced (cost & long-lost disks, plus some programs that the previous tech had installed which I didn't have disks for. So at the moment I'm using Windows XP Professional, Outlook express, Open Office for text documents. A very old modem (Swann Smart 56K- 1998?) which I have no disk for (It wasn't installed by me. I wasn't even using a computer then!) Interestingly it's called something else (I'll check if you like) on my data information. My (new) security system is Kaspersky.
    Anyway (sorry this is such a long post!) my computer's "performance" problems have worsened since then. I'm wondering if some essential programs which should have been reinstalled are still missing. I'm also convinced I should change to broadband ASAP, despite having something like 4 month's paid up subscription to go with my current ISP. That would, at least, resolve the modem problem & some "speed" issues.

I'll now go back to your post, Halo, & see what I've missed. Thank you again, if you've been patient enough to read all this!:-o

7. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

Well, if its a Dark Grey Dell desktop, the model nr is embossed around the power button.
    I assume you are using Windows XP?

8. miso

miso Private E-2

More of a cream color & no embossing that I can see.

9. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

OK, that means its showing its age, (slower processor, not a lot of RAM)
    Still dont know what type of Windows you have? XP, 98, ME, 2000.
    That should show when you power up the computer, but before the desktop comes up.
    I am not even sure if that computer will handle DSL or cable broadband without buying a add on card..
    I am not very familiar with that model.

10. miso

miso Private E-2

Sorry, Rosie'sDad

I mentioned in my longer post (to Halo) that I'm using Windows XP Professional.

11. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

Oops, I missed that.
    Open your control panel and click on system. It will tell us how zippy your system could be on a good day.

12. miso

miso Private E-2

Will do.

But before I do, the old sticker on my computer says "inside intell Celeron*" ..

If that helps at all.

13. miso

miso Private E-2

rosiesdad

This?

Under "System Monitor" (Performance):

Some wildly fluctating figures on that graph (well, that's how they look to me!)

Min - 0.00 (& more. Up & down)

Average - generally around 2.000 more or less but fluctuating up & down

Max. around 300.0 (with big up & down fluctuations)

Also says: "At least one data sample is missing."

14. miso

miso Private E-2

It looks as though I can't supply enough information from my end to make a realistic diagnosis of the problem/s possible from your end.
    Oh well. Thank you all very much anyway, for taking the time to respond and for trying to assist. Much appreciated.

miso

15. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

I know this must be very frustrating for you, but just keep plodding away at it and we will get there eventually.

Have you managed to get the system window open?

Just type in the details if you can't get a picture up on here.

We're looking for the information in your version of the lower part of this screen, under where it says computer:
    [​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds