Extremely slow XP shutdown and other problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Chunky_Monkey, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Chunky_Monkey

Chunky_Monkey Private E-2

Well to start out with my vast array of problems will be the slow Windows XP shutdown. It takes about 5 minutes for my system to shutdown after i tell it to. It just sits there and when i click on something else it says that it can not start because the station is shutting down. I have personally tried many remedies i have found online and none worked except one. I was to shut off my Nvidia driver help I believe it was and the system shutdown within 10 seconds. After that one time it returned to normal and the driver help was still disabled. Any other tips would be appreciated.

My other problem is that i have Norton Systemworks 2003 and my autoprotect wont start at all and email scanning is having an error. I can still live update and scan my computer but for some reason i cant get auto protect or the email scanning to work.

I first believed possibly that this could be due to a virus but i did an online scan with trend micro and i did have 3 viruses. They were deleted and still nothing changed. i use ad aware as well and scanned but nothing bad came up through that. Any other virus checkers or spyware programs that you think would help id appreciate to know about. My system specs are:

Gigabyte 7n400 Pro Rev.2
    Amd athlon 2700+ overclocked to 2333
    2 200 GB Seagate SATA drives in Raid 0
    1 80 GB Maxtor
    BFG Nvidia 5700 Ultra
    1 GB Dual Channel Geil Memory
    Windows XP Pro with only SP1

If you need any other specs or info just ask.

2. Chunky_Monkey

cmon....any help at all please?

3. tux2460

tux2460 Private First Class

I'd try uninstalling Norton, see if that speeds anything up, then if no reinstall and see if it was a bad install of norton causing it. If it does speed up decide if you want to reinstall se if bad install, or switch AV and whatever else is included in Norton.

Sorry if it doesn't seem like much help, but I've had a lot of problems with the resource hog that is Norton. So anytime I hear Norton is installed I tend to eliminate that as a possiblity first. Ok, actually Spyware/Virus is first but you said you've done that.

4. NewsFlash

NewsFlash Corporal

I just read something on McAfee website that said there's a new Trojan that shuts down your AV system:

"What is it?
    Mass-spammed over the past 24 hours, W32/Bagle.dldr is a Medium Risk Trojan downloader that tries to:

Open a communication port on your computer
    Download a .jpg picture file from various sites
    Terminate security services like anti-virus updating

Unlike earlier variants, W32/Bagle.dldr does not appear to mass-mail itself to stolen email contacts."

But other than this, have you recently done any registry cleaning or installed a new program that might conflict with Norton? I wouldn't recommend uninstalling Norton until you've tried absolutely everything else because it's a total nightmare to try and REinstall after you uninstall.

5. Chunky_Monkey

I havent installed anything lately, but i have tried some registry after norton had the problems. I just turned my system on one day and the anti protectin and emal scanner didnt turn on. I could still update, but I just couldnt make them turn on so viruses could enter my system without my knowing. Kind of useless and annoying. I did uninstall norton just last night and put AVG on and ran virus scan. Nothing popped up and also i downloaded spybot and i found more spyware and deleted it. So far my system hasn't sped up at all on shutdown. Which is an annoyance. My virus problem has been fixed though because AVG now has it's autoprotect on

6. kipfeet

kipfeet Corporal

If there were some nasties on your pc there's a good chance there are more. AVs and Ad-Aware, SpyBot, et al, don't always catch everything. I suggest you work through Major Attitude's stickies on the Spyware forum. These may be enough to clear things up for you. If not, you can post on the Spyware forum (follow their guidelines first) if you can't get rid of them yourself. Those guys know what they are doing, but need things done in a specific way to help eliminate as many variables as possible. Trust them.
    Good luck!

Forgot to say...some spyware/viruses can disable AV protection, so that may be the cause of your Norton problems. Don't know for sure, but it's possible you have one that does that.

7. Chunky_Monkey

thanx for the tips all I really appreciate it.[​IMG]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds