EZ-SW16D switch - need a manual and/or information...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chookers, Dec 6, 2007.

1. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Hi all,

I've been poking around the internet looking for a manual for my second-hand switch. It says Excel on the front but underneath it says Protac.

Anyone able to help me with finding a manual or knowing things like whether I can log in via a browser window and configure it and if so, what IP address, username and password I might need?

I've attached two pictures.

Thanks all.

P.S. If somebody even has a good guess based on other equipment they have used for an IP address, that would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2007
  2. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

Do I feel like an idiot or do I feel like an idiot?? Don't answer that one!! :mad

Okay, the main reason I was after a manual for our switch was because I had recently included a second-hand switch in our LAN layout to hook up more computers (because we don't have enough ports on our broadband modem to connect our machines and still easily be able to hook up visiting machines) and we had struck a problem with network access to shared folders.

Now somewhere around that time, access to my laptop from the other computers was lost. Did I, or did I not, assume it would have something to do with the switch? I did, of course. Did I remember that my PCMCIA network card drivers had become corrupted, necessitating uninstalling and reinstalling it? I did not. Was this the real cause of the laptop being inaccessible due to the File & Printer Sharing being removed along with the network components that were removed when I uninstalled the network card? It was.

So if someone could just tell me what features you would expect in an average switch and whether they would normally have some way of configuring them through a browser window or some other way, that would be much appreciated. And I'll stop wondering if I need to configure the switch correctly to facilitate file sharing.

And now I'll go and hide my red face. :eek:

3. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

In your average switch you wont get any controllable features. Only in a router or high end switch ie one costing more then 100 dollars will you find configuration type options. That switch looks like an unmanaged switch with no features.

4. chookers

chookers Staff Sergeant

So I should just expect it to take plugs and be part of whatever IP range it's hooked up to?

Can you run two separate IP ranges/workgroups through this sort of thing and have range 1 machines able to communicate with range 1 machines and range 2 communicate with range 2 but not range 1 to range 2? (Not that I plan to try that at the moment; I just want to understand what they can do.)

Thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds