Facebook Group

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Major Attitude, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

If you change your mind, there's the link.

2. Blaze2011

Blaze2011 Private E-2

I must still be missing something. :confused
    Seriously, I just bounce straight to my own home page with the news feed thingy.

I only signed up today so what I know about FB you could fit on the end of a pin but ........ I'll work it out eventually. :cool

Thanks.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I'm like that with Twitter, but I have reconnected with people I am glad about. My Facebook status is at about 85 people and when I had a recent wedding anniversary party we had 80+ there so my number is correct. Basically you lock down your profile so that people can find you but only see limited information and you only accept people you want to connect with. I've turned down hundreds and deleted dozens who just post too much.

In other words, it should be social networking on a personal level if you ask me, but to each his own.

Fan pages are the bomb. We get lots of new referrals and give a ton of crap away. I also am a fan of my favorite things as well and can keep up on my favorite artists without remembering to check their website. MySpace always sucked so this is perfect as well.

P.S I think that we found some tweaks so it loads faster now.

4. redtearsblackwings

redtearsblackwings Private E-2

I tired to join but the link just took me to my Facebook home page.
    I must say for the little that I know about computers, I love this website. So much info to read and I love the safe downloads :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  5. thefly

thefly Private E-2

Why is it that the Facebook MajorGeeks Group Web Page always takes me to my own Facebook Home Page? Noone seems to answer this question.

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Are you clicking on this link?: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Majorgeeks/161472400537054

I have tried it both when I wasn't signed in to my FB account and when I was. Both times it took me to the Major Geeks page.

7. redtearsblackwings

Yep I clicked that link both logged off, logged in and I also tried just copying and pasting the link. I'm still being bounced every time to the home news thread.

8. LauraR

Maybe a browser thing? Security setting? Honestly, I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't go right to the link and it's obviously not just you.

I just even tried it on my IE browser which I never use it the link worked.

9. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I see it now however the MG page does not have a wall anymore where peoples comments were. :confused

10. thefly

thefly Private E-2

I have tried both logged in and out of Facebook and with Firefox 3.5 and IE8. Maybe it is a problem with My Facebook Security or privacy settings. I am not the only person in this thread reporting the same thing. I have not seen any explanation yet that is all.

11. Major Attitude

There has been the same explanation over and over :)

Go to Search
    Select the pages tab
    Type Majorgeeks and look for the icon

12. LauraR

Added to the first post for the people who can't get the link to work.

13. thefly

thefly Private E-2

I have done that and found a page with the MajorGeeks icon and pressed like and the page has 54 people who like it and there is a description of MajorGeeks and not much else.

14. thefly

thefly Private E-2

I believe that it is a problem with my Privacy Settings on Facebook. When I press the "Like" icon at the top of this Forum. I temporarily see my picture at the top with my Facebook name and then it disappears and an Error message appears which when I click it says "This page is either disabled or not visible to the current user." So to me the solution has not been posted for other people like me. What portion of my Privacy Setting do I need to change or why is Facebook not even asking permission to share details with the MajorGeeks Facebook Page. That is the problem.

15. redtearsblackwings

I'd say that it is a Facebook error or setting...it seems to happen often.

16. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

17. thefly

thefly Private E-2

I can assure you that I am clicking that link. The only explanation is that one of the Privacy Settings is conflicting. Normally if a particular Facebook page is trying to access my personal data it asks for permission but somehow the Majorgeeks Facebook page does not.

18. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

Joined April 18th.

19. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

Seems to work for most. It is a facebook.com script so debugging on this end is tough. That said - It's java. So if you are using some sort of java blocking, that would be the problem.

the actual scripts are at http://www.facebook.com/plugins/like.php perhaps adding that to Trusted sites under the Internet Options Security tab will help. (assuming IE) .

20. Major Attitude

We have 1,000 keys for Iobit Malware Fighter, one of the largest giveaways I have ever heard of! Get in there!

21. Blaze2011

Blaze2011 Private E-2

I never could get the link to work.
    Could never find you guys using search either until ..................

Wait for it .......................
    I got rid of the space between major and geek. Doh!!

Serious face palm moment. :-o

22. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

wait.. isn't this freeware? or is it like others, free for some features?

23. Major Attitude

24. thefly

thefly Private E-2

Apparently it was a country issue . See The statement on the front page.
    "Facebook country problem solved. Everyone outside of the USA can now connect and Like us! Thank you! "

Hooray. At Last.

25. Major Attitude

Everybody join up?

26. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Private E-2

OK..... Mehopes this is proper place to post this question..... :confused

I cannot seem to get entered into any of the Major Geek giveaways.... I went to the "App" and gave it permission to access the various info it desired from my Facebook page. But still.... when I attempt to enter the giveaway, I always get a popup that says I have not given the App the proper permissions. I thought that perhaps after giving the permission and logging out of Facebook, then back in might do the trick, but it doesn't and neither does a simple reload of the page. SO, what am I not doing ????? Your help or advice is appreciated..

27. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

Just a stab only, did you "Like" the App page?

28. Major Attitude

Yes, you must like the app. Beyond that maybe some security software you are running? Try just IE to see.

29. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Private E-2

Thanks for the reply there Major,and I sure did. I'll try disabling my security goodies and going through it and try IE as well...... Thanks again !!!

30. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Private E-2

Yep Ken3, I did..... I sure appreciate your reply !!!!!

31. Senlac_Hill

Senlac_Hill Private E-2

Well, Major Attitude and Ken3 !!!!

I tried entering for the AVG License using Google Chrome as my browser and 'viola !!! NO PROBLEMS !!!! Worked like a charm...... (I wonder why Firefox didn't do the trick though, eh???? But It does seem to be suffering from some buggaboos as of lately though....)

But once again Folks, Thanks alot for your replies and your help... It did the trick... (Could not get IE to run though, so I'll have to find out whassup with that.... so that's why I tried Google Chrome)

:major Have a good one !!!! :major

Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  32. Major Attitude

We had recently updated the app fixing some errors as well, glad to hear it!

33. Major Attitude

Sigh. It only shows you and your friends who like it. No one else sees you. Come on. We work pretty hard on our reputation you knowm, why would we do that???

34. Major Attitude

They didnt. Its a simple script from Facebook that gives you stats however you should not be seeing anyone else unless they are on your friends list or those people have very light security on their Facebook settings. In other words someone smart like yourself has their Facebook security settings set to not be public, hence no one will ever see you unless their a friend of yours.

35. Major Attitude

I don't care enough to explain to you how privacy and Facebook works enough to spend more time on this especially on a SUNDAY when I am trying to enjoy a long weekend for a silly like on Facebook. Honestly, we enjoy using it for social networking but at the end of the day who cares?

The Forums here and Facebook are NOT linked. We don't share your information. Period.

As for the Yahoo lawsuitm their lawsuit basically sues everyone, it will be tossed out.

My FINAL suggestion to you; Stop using Facebook. Ta da, problem soved.

Next. Please spare further replies, I am not tainting this thread with false accusations about us sharing your information.Further replies will be deleted as we have hit a dead end.

36. Major Attitude

Better yet, good time to just close this thread, not wasting further time this weekend on this silly argument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds