Facebook Messages-IP address

Discussion in 'Software' started by maryam2087, Jul 14, 2014.

1. maryam2087

maryam2087 Private E-2

Hey guys! I am new to this forum and needed some help with a few questions I had. Not sure if I am posting this under the right section but, this was the closest thread topic I could find to my problem.

I wanted to know, if there was a way to figure out someone's IP address through the Facebook messages they had sent? There is someone who has created an account under my name and I have reported it to Facebook however, this person contacted a few people on my Facebook list and sent them malicious messages. Is there a way to track down where this person could be located approximately with their IP address?

Thank you in advance for all of your help! :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Need to as you have done contact FB for this as they will list the IP address of a poster to your wall, but sadly you cannot see the IP to posted messages.

A few pitfalls to note though.
    1. IP address to the poster an be spoofed or go via a proxy so you have no idea where they are, for example they could be sitting next to you in a café but if the IP is via a proxy they may list as coming from other side of the globe

2. If an IP was traced then it may just hit the ISPs server, and that maybe miles from where they are, likely same city or town, but physical address, then for that the ISP would need to trace.

3. Don't delete messages, save them as well as take screenshots for evidence

I would contact all your FB contacts and tell them not to add a request alleging to come from you, unless you say email them first to say you will be adding them. I would also re-contact FB again, as well as check the status of your report on your Support Dashboard.

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Just to add to the great advice as usual from DavidGP , also change your passwords often, especially your Facebook password, and keep contact with Facebook and post a warning to all your friends. Good luck.

4. maryam2087

maryam2087 Private E-2

Awesome! Thanks for all the information. It was very helpful :)

5. maryam2087

maryam2087 Private E-2

I am not sure how ethical this would be but, I was thinking of creating a 'fake' account to catch the person who created the fake account about me. The plan was to initiate a conversation with him/her and try to get them to either post on my wall? Not sure if I should go ahead and pursue this route?

6. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Just be aware that it's against Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities:

https://m.facebook.com/legal/terms

Under #4
    I'm not sure how strict they are about it.

7. maryam2087

maryam2087 Private E-2

Hmmm, thanks for posting that link. I just went through it. I am just so frustrated from this entire situation. I guess if I really want to know who it is, I will have to get a court order and file a formal report. Anyways, thanks for all of the helpful advice you guys have given me! :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds