Factory Reset Loop

Discussion in 'Software' started by NationalAcrobat, Mar 7, 2016.

1. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

First I want to thank everyone at the site for the help you all have given me over the years. I don't know what I would do without u. Also I tried to get an answer from existing threads but came up empty.

I got this ASUS X551M notebook (windows 8). My info about this machine is pretty much limited to that because my brother started the system restore and brought it to me when it never got past "repairing windows". I thought simply running "factory reset" again may prove successful. Unfortunately, that function simply does not work when I select it. It freezes up when I select any option other than "restart windows". That option puts me right back in the loop.

I am wondering what my options are here. There is no restore disk to boot from. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I have uploaded Windows 8 images that can be burned to DVD to my OneDrive in case you, or anyone else needs them. There are also W7 images as well.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=4F3197666AED38EB!170

The first thing I would do is download and burn a Kaspersky Rescue disk to a CD-ROM and check for malware:

http://support.kaspersky.com/us/4162

If the hard drive is still in good shape you can do a fresh install with the Windows 8 image. The only hang up might be the license key. If you don't have it, or it is not recognized automatically during installation the download and burn method is kind of moot at that point.

What you can do is connect the laptop hard drive to a desktop computer and using a program like Magical JellyBean, retrieve the license key BEFORE any formatting. Also, if you need any data from the laptop drive (documents, pics, etc.) you can retrieve that as well. All you would need is a SATA cable and an available power connector.

If you can't get the license key, or it's not recognized automatically, then you will have to contact Asus for Recovery Discs. Also, don't forget to upgrade to Windows 10 when you're all done. IMHO, Windows 8 is a less than stellar OS to put it nicely...

3. NationalAcrobat

NationalAcrobat Private First Class

Much appreciated. I am wondering if this can be done with a flash drive or external disc drive. I was told the disc drive on this machine does not work I just haven't tested it myself. Also, I have a SATA/IDE to USB adapter, although I have no idea where to find the windows license information. Is there typically costs associated with getting restore discs from the manufacturer?

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Cost depends on the manufacturer. The main issue with Win8 and the making a bootable flash drive is the UEFI. Sometimes it's a massive headache to get it to boot a flash drive, if it will at all.

As far as cost, it depends on the manufacturer. As far as finding the license key, it's embedded in the BIOS like the old SLP keys from PC manufacturers. With W8 and later operating systems Microsoft stopped issuing COA labels on PCs like the did with W7 and earlier operating system. Now, you either need the key that came with your retail/OEM boxed software, or a functioning hard drive to retrieve the key from either installed in it's machine, or connected to another. That's what Magical JellyBean and RecoverKeys are made for. RecoverKeys is paid software, but it doesn't just do Windows. I have yet to find a program it can't recover a license key for.

5. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Additionally, to "the mechanics" information, If you have a spare hard drive, -
    I have used partition wizard http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/minitool_partition_wizard_home_edition.html with a similar tool to this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AQU97B2?psc=1
    Partition Wizard will copy different hard drives sizes, to other hard drives. ( I FOUND IT WORKED BETTER THAN THE TOOLS OWN SOFTWARE)
    When it copies, ,I found it to make the system usable again, on the new/copy drive - I have done this several times. The bad parts on the old hard drive seem to stop recovery on the original hard drive, but the copy drive worked o.k.
    I reckon it is worth a try with yours.
    You need to copy all partitions-the whole hard drive

6. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

Sadly my ASUS and some other smaller light weight laptops do not have a DVD drive. :(

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

First thing I bought when I got a second netbook was a portable DVD burner.
    So not having an internal optical drive is not an excuse.
    We have 3 netbooks in the house and an all-in-one computer that only has a CD-ROM drive in it. Having that portable DVD burner has been helpful in quite a few situations.
    Plus, if I need to troubleshoot an internal optical drive on the computers that have them, I fire up the external portable. If it works, then i suspect there is a hardware rather than a software problem.

I load Acronis True Image on CD, boot up, and make an image to a portable hard drive.
    That was the way I did it until I figured out how to make an Acronis boot USB stick. Now I use that.

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As plodr said, a usb external dvd drive is very useful, and thedrive duplicator I use, similar to the one I linked is also a usb attachment.
    As the mechanic said, it can be aggravating trying to get a usb device to boot on the newer laptops/pc's, as it needs to be change in windows, like my Lenova- I have to get into advanced startup before shutting down to change to UEFI, AND LEGACY MODE. Even then it can take a few goes to get it, and quick fingers, pressing the f2 button.

In Windows 10, go to Settings, then Updates and security, then Recovery, then Advanced startup,
    You will see that it says "Startup from a device or disc such as aa USB, or DVD TO change Windows startup settings or restore Windows from a system Image-
    Before shutting down, you need to put your usb stick/external dvd in so that it will be recognised and usable on the restart.
    Click on restart now, and when it restarts go to advanced options .
    When it restarts, it gives options, options to start from usb,or, dvd, hard drive, etc:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  9. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Sorry, I missed a bit in the post above- after ---In Windows 10, go to Settings, then Updates and security, then Recovery, then Advanced startup, choose restart from there, and the options will show on restart."Startup from a device or disc such as aa USB, or DVD TO change Windows startup settings or restore Windows from a system Image-

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds