failed start ups/blue screens

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cmj2k2, Feb 12, 2007.

1. cmj2k2

cmj2k2 Private E-2

I kind of jump around when I explain this

I live in a small town, and we have a computer up at the library that i built a couple years ago for people to use for homework/ect, its worked fine since then but...

Lately it hasnt been starting up right or has been getting a blue screen of death shortly after start up

At start up below the memory check/that junk it said once "CPU is unworkable or has been changed, please recheck CPU soft menu", so i checked the menu in the setup and the processor speed was set lower than it should be, i bumped it from 2200 back up to 2800(what it is) and saved

this did nothing and the computer locked up at the windows xp loading screen

after another 1 or 2 restart attempts i noticed another little message below the memory check that said something about CMOS settings whacked out, loading defaults (forgot exact words)

when I did get it to start up in normal mode, it lasted about 20 seconds before I got a blue screen that said
    Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area

tech info - ***STOP: 0x00000050(0xC0D5131C, 0x00000000, 0x804E70D5, 0x00000000)

The compute DOES start fine in safe mode, but im not sure where to go from there.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

You built a few years ago and loosing settings?

Check the battery first

Studio T

3. cmj2k2

cmj2k2 Private E-2

If i were to replace the cmos battery are there any settings I would need to remember/write down?

I know where it is, how to replace it, and how to set the jumpers, just curious about the settings.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Only the date!

If you are quick when replacing the battery (within a couple of minutes) you probably won't loose any settings. You don't need to use jumpers at all for this, unless you want to reset to factory settings.

the CMOS contains settings about the system time, date, the hard drive installed, CD drive installed , what graphics you are using etc. Go into the bios and make a list before you change the battery. Some will re-establish themselves automatically, some may need intervention. You may need to get the bios to autodetect the hard drive. When you have done save settings and exit.

Studio T

5. kjb125

kjb125 Private First Class

try to get the blue screen error again & write down what it says. then post that please.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Test your RAM too to eliminate it. Use Memtest86+ Boot to the disk, it doesn't need Windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds