"failed to load resource DLL" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mobot, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Mobot

Mobot Private E-2

I installed and uninstalled fruity loops (cause it wasnt working properly) and everything started going to shit. Im using XP Pro.

When i open internet explorer i get a "failed to load resource DLL" error message. When i click ok the program opens normally. This also happens when i right click on objects on my desktop.

I did a couple of virus scans and came up clean but when i tried to run auto update for norton it said i uninstalled it....which i didn't.

It also wouldn't let me play mp3s with windows media player, when i re-installed it it fixed that problem.

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this? Any help would be appreciated.

2. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Did fruit loops have a uninstaller?
    .If so did you uninstall this way,
    or did you uninstall through add/remove

3. Mobot

Mobot Private E-2

i uninstalled through add/remove.

4. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

OK then reinstall the program again,and if it has a uninstaller ,use it instead of add/remove.

5. Mobot

Mobot Private E-2

hmm...i tried that but the error still happens. i seemed to fix the media palyer problem by re-installing it, but am still getting the error messages when trying to open explorer or desktop icons like my documents, my computer, etc.

6. jujet84

jujet84 Master Sergeant

Just by chance take a look at Tools/Internet options/Advanced
    is the Display a notification about every script error checked if so uncheck it

7. Mobot

Mobot Private E-2

It was unchecked already, it must be a windows problem because it's affecting other things on my desktop like my documents, my computer, etc....i really don't want to re-format so i'm hoping there's a way to fix it.

8. cemino

cemino Private E-2

You could always try inserting your windows cd and booting from the cd and rather than reformating you hard drive you could use the repair option and it might solve the problem. However i would use this as a final option before reformatting because i may cause you to have to reformat anyways.

9. Durutti

Durutti Private E-2

A program you installed and then removed (or has gone terribly wrong) has left something in your right context menu:

Install this http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html and see what it lists.

See what's installed and if it's not meant to be there then disable it.
    If you can't work it out then disable each shell extension one by one until it goes away.

My problem was with dbPowerAmp's shell extension.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds