"fAILED TO LOAD RESOURCE DLL" error

Discussion in 'Software' started by whush, Oct 2, 2004.

1. whush

whush Private E-2

I get the above error message whenever I right click on a drive, file or folder. The dll is not specified. Google search came up with two other pleas for help regarding this error, neither of which was apparently resolved.
    Upon clicking OK, Windows XP Home lets me perform the task ; move, delete, rename, properties or whatever. :rolleyes:

Can anyone help me get rid of this annoyance?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

whush, first welcome to MG. I had a long reply typed out earlier, but lost it somehow. Trying again. Go to Start--->Run. Type in SFC and then <enter>. You MUST have your Windows Operating system CD loaded for maximum results. SFC (System File Checker) will check out all files required to run Windows and ask for various answers (courses of action from you) to the problems it finds, Read and re-read the courses of action carefully. Answer "ignore" first time round, if you are not sure of the correct answer. Proceed slowly, with a clear head and no sources of interruption. This may clear your problem, but will certainly help in other areas, at least. Bazza

PS I use W98SE, not XP, so there may be slight differences. Baz

===

3. whush

whush Private E-2

Baz, Thanks for the reply. I had tried sfc /scannow three times prior to posting this request for help. sfc executes ok and takes about 30 minutes to complete. However, when it completes the scan it provides no information and just shuts down. My Windows XP disk is in the CD tray while the scan is executing.

4. whush

whush Private E-2

Baz, Thanks for the reply. I had tried sfc /scannow three times prior to posting this request for help. sfc executes ok and takes about 30 minutes to complete. However, when it completes the scan it provides no information and just shuts down. My Windows XP disk is in the CD tray while the scan is executing. :rolleyes:

5. bigbazza

Damn, another good idea down the drain. Another possible idea to try. As your problem relates to rightclicking on your mouse, maybe uninstall the mouse software and let Windows detect "no mouse" and re-install using Windows generic driver, or your mouse software again. Who knows, might work. Otherwise other MG'ers, please step in. Bazza

===

6. bigbazza

One final idea, maybe something is wrong with Windows Explorer. Maybe loading a fresh copy of Explorer.exe, may help. Rename existing explorer.exe to explorerold.exe and copy another copy across into C:\windows (that's where it is in W98SE, presume the same in XP). Don't reboot in between, though, as you won't be able to access Explorer at all, if you do. Bazza

7. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

Is there any error messages in the Event Log ? do they provide more detail ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds