Failed Update of >NET Framework 1.1 SP1

Discussion in 'Software' started by zamorazeke, Nov 25, 2012.

1. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Hi Folks,

I am having no success installing a Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 on Windows XP (Home Edition)…KB2698023

The Windows Update (Yellow) Shield is sitting in my tray continually and whenever I try to install the update to which it refers, it ends by failing the install, as shown in the attachment.

Rest assured that any help will be greatly appreciated, and I will do my best to follow directions for any solutions forthcoming.

Many thanks to all of you. :wave

Attached Files:

2. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

Go into Control Panel>Automatic Updates, and turn them completely off.

Go here to download, and install the redistributable package of dotnet:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26

After you download, and install this package the updates should go off without a hitch. Just make sure you turn off the automatic setting, and install the updates manually. I've found updating a fresh copy of XP goes FAR smoother when done manually.

Start>All Programs>Windows Update

3. zamorazeke

zamorazeke Corporal

Thanks alot for your help

I turned off the automatic updates.

Next I went to the Microsoft website for updates and had it check for needed updates.

Then I chose "download" and it downloaded and successfully installed the update that it had determined I need to make (KB2698023 the problematic...).

Finally, I went back into Control Panel>Automatic Updates and chose to be notified when updates are needed, but to let me download and install them myself.

Was that last step the right thing to do so that I will know when I need to install new updates?

Once again, thanks for your helping me in this situation. I appreciate it alot.:)

4. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

No problem.

I do alot of refurbs, so I've learned a few things along the way. Happy to share!!

:major

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Microsoft releases updates/patches on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. Mark it on your calendar.

I even have notify turned off - on XP. I can't do that on 7. The Thursday after "patch Tuesday", I start reading about what patches are causing problems. I also subscribe to a paid newsletter that comes out on a Thursday with a Patch Watch chart on it. I mark down each update then look to see if it is safe to install, skip it (in which case I hide it) or wait to install. Thursday or Friday I patch 5 Windows partitions running XP or 7.

I realize most people don't have the time to do this but before you install a patch, google it to see of there are a lot of problems. If so, hold off on installing it until MS gets the patch right.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds