Failing to start windows after moving

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mattmandude, Sep 21, 2007.

1. mattmandude

mattmandude Private E-2

I shipped my PC overseas (and went through all the necessary details to get the power correct like setting the switch on the PSU to 230, which is the correct voltage), and the way I did it is I took it apart except for the PSU and the mother board which I left in the case, shipped the case in a box by itself, and shipped the parts in my suit case protected pretty well by all the clothes and such.

So, I booted up my PC installing only the video card and 1 stick of RAM, and it all worked fine (booted up normally, bios looked good).

After that, I plugged in the rest which included my hardrive, DVD drives, and 3 more sticks of RAM...

... but it didn't work. Before booting into windows, the start up screen said to restart the CPU frequency (everything looked like it was working though, it recognized my CPU, 3200 AMD, the 2000 mb of RAM, and the 120 gig hardrive). I didn't know what this meant at all, so I went into the BIOS, and chose to select the fail-safe settings. Before restarting, I checked the temperatures and frequency of the CPU (35°, and 200 which was the lowest setting), and it looked normal to me, but then again I don't remember where they should be (never overclocked).

So I saved and rebooted.... this time the startup screen looked different, the layout was different (it said it recognised "1 CPUs" which I haven't noticed before)... and when it got to starting windows I got...

NOTHING. It just froze on a black screen. So I rebooted; got the same thing, except it wanted to start in safe mode since it was turned off poorly. So I booted into safe mode, and it froze while loading the partitions =/

So, HELP!

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Just in case you set something wrong in bios i would clear cmos, unplug powersupply, remove mb battery, hold down on-off button for a few seconds, wait a few minutes. Put everything back an power up. ed

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  3. mattmandude

mattmandude Private E-2

Yeah ok, I remember clearing the CMOS before but I couldn't remember how to do it >_< And for the other things you said, I don't know how to do those either if you wouldn't mind elaborating please? :)

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Im not sure what other things you are referring to, reinstall battery and see if it will run. If this does not help, i would reseat your ram[ take out and put back in]. ed

5. mattmandude

mattmandude Private E-2

Well, I don't have the manual with me, and I can't find anything online, so I'm having trouble figuring out how to clear the CMOS, or remove the battery >_<

6. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Unplug power suppy from pc, take side cover off, you will find a shiny battery about the size of a quater on the motherboard, removing requires tipping one side or the other, this will take the memory out of the motherboard and reset to default settings which is ok in 99% of cases. Let me know . ed

7. mattmandude

mattmandude Private E-2

Yep, that did the trick. I also found the CMOS jumpers once I removed my video card =)

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds