FAILURE: Booting Up

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by presto619, Jan 27, 2005.

1. presto619

presto619 Private E-2

I've looked over trillions of forums, support sites, and manuals but to no avail I could not find the answer to my problem.

The Problem:
    I have a Toshiba A35-S209 Satellite laptop. I left it on during the day while downloading a legit file (no virus guranteed). After coming back to it a couple hours later, I found my computer had shut down. I pressed the power on button, but my computer failed to boot. I didn't reach any screen at all! The screen remains black, I hear regular sounds of the system trying to boot, the fans start to spin, but after 3 seconds the system dies and just doesn't boot.

My Failed Attempts:
    -Did a soft and hard restart
    -Removed battery and AC adaptor for an hour. Put it back in. Pressed the Power button.
    -Tried holding F1-F12 keys while powering.
    -Cleaned cooling vents.

My questions:
    -What is your advice or questions about the problem?
    -Do you think removing the CMOS battery and leaving it out for a while then putting it back in might work?
    -Should I just buy a new hard drive? (trying to avoid this option)

My thoughts:
    -I really think its just my hard drive because sometimes after pressing the power button everything boots up normally but when it reaches the hard drive it'll shut off. I can never get passed the hard drive.
    -I also think that removing then reinstalling the CMOS battery might work because it helps contain the information of booting up.

!---Thanks for any replies---!

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I don't really know what the problem is, but it isn't the HD. Most people view an HD as mandatory but in actual fact you don't need an HD to turn a computer on. Of course unless you use some sort of boot disk all you'll get without an HD is a nice message telling you there is no HD. The thing is, you would get a message though. So since it's not even going that far it can't be the HD's fault.

As for removing the CMOS battery, that could be it. You can give it a try, it won't hurt anything, but I doubt it will work.

It sort of sounds like the screen may have been damaged. Unless it's some sort of power issue, that is some how stopping it from getting the needed power.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm at a loss for some good ideas right now.

3. ljcoop

ljcoop Private E-2

My desktop did this just two days ago and it was the power supply.
    It would start to boot, lights came on anyway, for about 2 or 3 seconds and then nothing.

4. presto619

presto619 Private E-2

so, how did you take care of the power supply problem?Cause i'm definitely sure that is the samething that is causing my problem.

5. presto619

presto619 Private E-2

I FOUND THE ANSWER! (Re: FAILURE: Booting Up)

Okay for all those people with laptops that have returned to there computers after leaving it on only to find it shut off and unbootable, I HAVE THE ANSWER! I saved myself a trip to a service center which may have cost me a few hundred bucks. Anyways let me guide you with some steps before I get to the main medicine.

1)make sure your AC adapter is plugged in and the battery is charged (i know its kinda obvious but it happens to A LOT of people)

2)Try hard reseting the cpu

3)After pressing the power button, press "Fn" and tap "F5" several times to see if the screen is just faulty.

if none of those work..this is the only option i have left that was my savior for my laptop:

-Ok you are going to have to reach the cooling vent that is tucked underneath your fans. You most likely can do this by turning your laptop bottom side up and unscrewing the screws that cover the vent. Some may have to open the whole laptop just reach it. Okay now you will have to remove the vent. In my case, my computer's (Toshiba Satellite A35-S209) cooling vent was held down by four screws. After removing my vent, there was a chip located underneath it with some sort of rubbish glue on the back of it. This chip is the problem! Sorry I'm not sure what the chip is called, so if anyone knows please post it. Anyways..above the chip there is a screw looking 'thingamajiger' that you can fit a short flat-head screw driver into. Turn that screw left and it will unlock the chip with the rubbish glue on the back. Now take out that chip. On the front of the chip you will see myriads of pinheads. Blow on it to clear it from any sorts of dirt or whatever. Then blow into the tiny holes that those lil' pinheads plug into. After you're done with all of that...backtrack everything you did. Power on your computer and you shall finally reach the boot up screen! Hope that's helpful!

I think the reason of why this causes the power down of laptops is because the hot temperature it undergoes and the dust that builds up from the vents. That chip is located under the cooling vents so i'm guessing it is delt the most heat from the process of cooling, and it is also located nearby a lot of dust build up so i'm guessing even a lil' bit of dust can get in there and mess it up.

Hope this works for anyone else that has had this problem. If not, good luck in finding your problem!

Please share this with other forums for I have seen this as a common problem amongst a lot of other people.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds