Failure during Memory Diagnostics Compaq Evo N115

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JMMccabe, Jun 29, 2007.

1. JMMccabe

JMMccabe Private E-2

System:
    Compaq Evo N115
    128MB RAM

Reported Problem: Reported as system shutting down at different times of use and sometimes when IE 6 is running. Must remove AC power and battery for a few seconds in order for system to power back up using power button.

I've observed system for about 4 days. Ran it idle for almost 12 hours the first day and it didn't fail.

Failed on 2nd day with IE 6 open. I had to remove AC and battery to power it back on.

I downloaded the CPQ Diags for it on day 2 and ran a complete unattended single-loop test. It failed during diags. I ran diags again and watched it closely. It failed again during the memory testing portion of the test. So I decided to focus on memory only and ran the following memory tests on at a time - 1 pass each - with the following results:

Individual Memory Test Results - Single Pass
    (Ran each test individually)

W/R/C - Pass
    Noise - Pass
    Random Data - Pass
    Random Address - Pass
    Walk - Pass
    March - Pass
    Address - Pass
    Stress - Pass

Cumulative Memory Test Results - Single Pass (Test 2)
    (Ran All Memory Tests Together in Series)

W/R/C - Pass
    Noise - Pass
    Random Data - Pass
    Random Address - Pass
    Walk - Pass
    March - Pass
    Address - FAILED (System failed at about 14% of this test)
    Stress - Didn't run - system went down on failure during previoius test.

System powered up without having to remove AC or battery.

Next I ran 3 loops of all memory tests but excluded the Address test. Result: All passed on all 3 loops with 0 errors.

Next I ran a single pass of Address test only.
    Result: Passed

Next I ran 2 loops of Address test only.
    Result: FAILED (System failed on 1st pass/loop at about 16% of this test)

These are my questions:

Diags are running in Windows (W2k). Should I run them from floppy? More accurate outside of Windows? (I would think so but I'm not sure.)

What exactly does the "Address" memory test check? Or, does it matter? Is the fact it's failing a memory test sufficient reason to replace the memory module? If only to confirm that this is the problem?

I don't like the idea of relying on a single test. What other hardware tests do you recommend?

This is my first post to this forum. Please let me know if I've posted in the wrong place or if I need to use a different format for posts such as this.

Thanks,

McCabe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds