Failure Predicted on Hard Disk 2: TOSHIBA MK1655GSX?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Cronoisme, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

I have a TOSHIBA netbook NB205 and everytime I start up windows it tells me I have an Hard disk error. Im in the process of installing windows 7 on the netbook and it seems to be working fine. I get past that screen just by pressing F1 and it continues to install windows. Im just curious to why its telling me im having a hard disk failure.

2. Cronoisme

Cronoisme Private First Class

Hmm never mind now it wont install windows 7.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

It appears the BIOS on your PC runs some type of hard drive self test at startup. If you're getting a failure warning, this is a red flag that - at the very least - the drive in question should be removed, hooked to a working PC and checked using a drive utility such as Seagate's SeaTools or Western Digital's Data Lifeguard.

If in doubt, replace the drive. Even though the price of hard drives has shot up, there is no logic on spending hours setting up your PC with Win 7 (and whatever other programs) only to have it act weird or crash completely due to a bad drive.

Since the message says "failure on hard disk 2", I am guessing there are two separate hard drives installed in this PC. If this is the case, remove the offending drive and attempt to install Win 7 on the good drive (just be sure to back up any data on it first).

Hope this helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds