fans are always running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mazeb, Mar 2, 2010.

1. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

So I just build a new PC today, after connecting everything i noticed that after clicking shutdown in windows, the case fan and the CPU fan keeps running even after the hard drive stops.

Specs:
    Case: Apevia X-Dreamer 3
    PSU: LSP 650
    CPU: Intel i7 860
    RAM: 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3
    MOBO: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
    HDD: Western Digital 640GB, Western Digital 160
    Video Card: EVGA Nvidia GTX 260 core 216 FTW edition

I tried going in to start-->control panel-->power option-->power button=shutdown

I tried going in to BIOS but theres nothing there to change

I don't know what else to do, please help :(

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Do these fans keep running forever until you shut off the switch on the power supply or power strip? If the fans spin for a little while then shut off, this is a feature included with many newer motherboards; they have a "cool down" feature that keeps most system fans spinning to cool things off after shutdown.... but the fans should shut off after 30-60s max.

3. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

The fans keeps going, I left it to run over night thinking that if might stop after cooling to a certain temp, but when I got up the next day, it's still going. The fans don't turn off unless I turn off the power supply. When I turn the power supply back on, the fan doesn't run until I turn on the computer, then the whole fan always running issue starts again.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Unplug the mainboard power connector and with a paper clip bridge the connector with the grey wire to ANY black wire,your PSU should turn on and read 12V at the yellow wire and ANY black wire now remove the paper clip and the power supply should shutdown 'the fan' and read no voltage.

If it reads voltage after you've removed the paper clip you need a new power supply,if it works as it should it may be a problem with your motherboard or an errant bios setting.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:eek It's the GREEN wire, not the grey wire!!!

I believe the grey wire is one of the 3.3v supply lines. Green has been P-ON forever. Bridging the grey wire could possibly damage the PSU, or will more likely do nothing...

@ mazeb: make sure that the power setting in Windows are set so the PC will actually shut down when you click on "Shut down". I've seen Windows set to where the PC will go into "Stand By" or "Hibernation" when you click "Shut Down". So check your power settings. You should be able to set it up so that Windows will shut down when you briefly press the power button on the case... give that a try too and let us know what happens.
    ;)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  6. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

I don't quite understand the way to bridge the wires and check the voltage? Do I disconnect the PSU from the computer and do the bridge thing? It's the 24 pin cable right?

I've set it so when i press the power button it turn's off the computer but the fan still keeps running.

7. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Yes, it is the 24-pin cable.

I would recommend disconnecting all other cables just to avoid the remote possibility of damaging anything else.

8. Rikky

Wow good job you were here,I knew it was a colour beginning with G:-D Stupid mistake.

My apologies mazeb I guess I've become too complacent when posting I need to double check things more often.

Here's a guide with pictures

http://www.overclock.net/faqs/96712-how-jump-start-power-supply-psu.html

You'll need a multimeter to test the voltage,with the paper clip bridging the green and any black wire take the black probe of the multimeter and stick it in any black wire then take the red probe and put it in the connector with the yellow wire,this will test +12V which the fans use now remove the paper clip and the +12V should shut down.

Should you unplug everything else? Erm? Yeah I suppose for extra safety I agree with collins but if you haven't got a multimeter you could use the cdrom tray to let you know if power is going through the PSU after you've removed the paper clip.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  9. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

well, I tried the paper clip thing and the results were, once the green and black is connected the yellow wire reads 12V, once disconnected it reads zero and the PSU fan turns off. So I think my power supply is fine.

10. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

would this be considered a serious problem or just a really annoying one? and once windows has turned off and the hard drive stops moving, i can just turn the PSU off to stop the fan with out any damaging consequences done to the computer right?

11. Rikky

Can you do a couple more tests mazeb? From the COMPLETE off position ie with the power turned off completely turn on your PSU,do the fans start to spin?

Now before your computer can boot into your OS hit del or F2 whatever enters your bios,now exit the bios without saving and turn off the computer with the power button,do the fans shutdown?

I'm trying to ascertain whether its a problem with the hardware or the windows shutdown sequence,another way you could test this would be to do a hard shutdown,hold the power button for 5 secs and see what happens.

Whether its an annoying problem or not depends really,personally I'd try a different PSU and if there's no change return the mobo.

Check your motherboard manufacturers website for a bios patch that relates to this problem or their tech support forum that deals with this problem with your mobo.

12. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

From PSU off then turned on the fans do not run. But once you press the power button on the case the fans starts and never stops. I went to the Asus forum and it turns out some people are having the same problem of turning the computer off, they've also tried different PSU but nothing worked, in the end the motherboard was faulty and once they got a new one the problem was solved, so I'm going to try a new motherboard. I'll be back with the results once I get a new motherboard.

13. Rikky

Well good luck.

14. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

This is the Final Update. I replaced by motherboard and everything works fine now.

Thanks to all those who helped out with this problem.

For all those who is thinking about this board or has problems with this board
    Asus P7P55D-E Pro is a great motherboard, with USB 3.0, SATA 6.0 ...etc it's just you may get a defective one, the chances aren't big, but if you get a defective one, just switch it and it'll be fine, usually the seller will have a 15 day warranty, along with that Asus has a 3 year warranty on the board.

15. Rikky

Sweet a nice happy ending then,good stuff ;-)

16. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

wow wow wo paper clips + PSU =BAD mMMk

17. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Would you like to explain why they are bad to mazeb?

Or are you just ranting on?

18. rjc862003

rjc862003 Corporal

because he seems to be recommending the (hot-wire) process to someone who clearly has limited knowledge of pcs and that could EASILY not end well and on top of that he said to using the gray wire dlb is 100% right its green 2 black had he used the gray wire he would have fried his psu
    and any rate good to see that you got it sorted
    and not I was not ranting I Am here to help :) I just don't wanna see bad advice end with someone losing costly hardware

19. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Ahhahah, no, not explain to me, to him.

He might not of understood why it was bad.

;)

20. Rikky

I made a mistake which I apologised for and explained MULTIPLE times,nothing was damaged and mazeb has got his computer fixed with the help of that 'hot wire' process.

I don't know what else you want from me...

21. mazeb

mazeb Private E-2

All that matters is that the problem is solved, everyone makes mistakes. he already said he was sorry so we'll just leave it at that. I'm still thankful for his and everyone else who tried to help.

22. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Nice one mate!

Really thoughtful.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds