Fans spining much faster after Motherboard upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by IngrownToeNail, Dec 19, 2011.

1. IngrownToeNail

IngrownToeNail Private E-2

I replaced the mother board with an equivalent and now the fans are spinning faster than before... here's a pic of my results using this program..
    Any help is much appreciated. :)

Attached Files:

2. Stefan.P

Stefan.P Private E-2

You should probably go to your bios and set fan control to enable.This is going to control the speed of your fans so if your computer gets hot they will work 100%,and if it's cool it should probably work 10-30%

3. ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft Private E-2

Yeah, just go into the BIOS and set the fan speed/control to AUTO. No worries!

4. IngrownToeNail

IngrownToeNail Private E-2

Thanks,
    I will try that ..... will get back with the results.

5. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

It also depends if your fans have 3-wire or 4-wire pins and what the old motherboard had versus the new one. Fans with 4-wire pins have one pin for the variable voltage so the motherboard/BIOS fan control can vary speeds. If your fan has 3-wires but the motherboard connector has 4-pins, the fans will always run fast.

I recently replaced the motherboard in a friends HP system. The old HP mobo had 3-pin connectors, the new board had 4-pins and his fans ran full blast. What I did was get a new CPU heatsink fan with 4-wires and an adapter for his case fan that plugged into one of the 4pin molex connectors (the ones that power IDE hard drives, CD drives, etc) from his power supply and it uses the 5volt(most fans are usually 12v, running at 5v won't hurt them they just spin slower) pin so the fan runs slower.

Sam

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds