Fans start up but everythign else wont...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lyo, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Lyo

Lyo Private E-2

Ok about 4 months ago my computer got the virus Antivirus XP 2009....
    I ended up shuting it down because I didnt have a way to get rid of it...
    But when I tried to turn it back on... nothing...

When I hit the Power button the fans kick up & the power light comes on but nothing else. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem?

I am not really a genius about computers so the only things I know about ti comes from an xfire scan about a year ago:

Manufacturer: Gateway
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+, MMX, 3DNow (2 CPUs), ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1920MB RAM
    Hard Drive:
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6100
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Sound Card: C-Media USB Headphone Set
    Speakers/Headphones:
    Keyboard: USB Root Hub
    Mouse: USB Root Hub
    Mouse Surface:
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_qfe.070227-2300)
    Motherboard:
    Computer Case:

2. Lyo

Lyo Private E-2

No one can hlp?

3. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

It sounds like your laptop is receiving the signal to power on, but not completing the power on self test (POST).

try reading the first article here: http://awesom3blog.blogspot.com/

It's an article I wrote. I wrote it so I wouldn't have to retype it whenever someone has this problem.

4. submar1ney

submar1ney Private E-2

Hi guys, i'm having exactly the same problem with an Advent 7301. A computer repair guy told me to bin it and buy a new one as he said it was the motherboard, and to replace it with a new one would not be cost effective. However, he gave no prices. Is this true? Roughly how much would it cost to replace the motherboard, processor, or even both?

Cheers

Ian

5. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

I don't know if you looked at the blog post I made for this, but I will explain.

When you fans spin, that means the computer has received the power-on signal and have powered on the machine. The power on self test (POST) immediately follows the power on test, and requires a working processor, RAM and motherboard to complete. If the POST cannot complete because of a bad processor, RAM and/or motherboard, or if the POST hangs testing a certain piece of hardware, you will be greeted by a blank screen.

To emphasize the point, if the POST does not finish you do not get a display. This can be caused by just about any piece of hardware attached to the machine, not just the motherboard and processor. Read the article for more: awesom3blog.blogspot.com

Of course, it may be that the display is not working. Hook your laptop up to an external monitor to test that.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds