Faster CPU FSB and Slower Mo/bo FSB - Problem?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hellmitre, Jul 12, 2006.

1. hellmitre

hellmitre Private E-2

Hey guys,
    I've got an Intel D850MV P4 478 400 Mhz motherboard, and I recently bought a 2.6 Ghz P4 processor with HT - however, the CPU has a FSB rate of 800 Mhz. Will this processor work with the motherboard; could I simply underclock the CPU's FSB without a drastic hit in performace? I'd like to be able to play F.E.A.R. on this with decent graphics settings (I mean, that's what makes it scary - it looking real). Thanks!

--hellmitre

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yes, you can run your CPU and motherboard FSB independently of one another. Your ability to play FEAR will be more dependant on your video card than your CPU or FSB though.

3. hellmitre

hellmitre Private E-2

Ah, thanks very much. My budget for a video card is about $150, and I was wondering if you could recommend one for one that would allow me to play FEAR.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds