faster file copy from pen drive in safe mode?

Discussion in 'Software' started by h2k47, Oct 8, 2008.

1. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

hello everyone,

i havent been able to find any solution to the usual pen drive problem where files just dont show up on xp unless u r running safe mode. The problem with safe mode is that large files take ages to finish copying and even though u might be able to spot and remove the autorun.inf and its .exe from the drive , it doesnt work and the files are still invisible on xp.

Since it is impossible for me to install an antivirus prog on each computer the pen drive is plugged in(so that viruses wont jump on my drive) , i hope there is just a way to enhance the speed of file copying in safe mode??

any help will be appreciated..

2. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

:confused, files won't show up on flash drive running Windows XP unless running in safe mode? I don't understand, Try to reformat the pen drive. XP has a formatting utility, as does HP, among others. I usually format flash drives with FAT32, but occasionally format with NTFS. From what I have read constant reformatting of a flash drive is not recommended. I have burned a few flash drives out, but not for that reason. You can enhance speed by using USB 2.0 port (Enhanced) instead of USB 1.1. (480 Mbit/s on 2.0 versus only 12 Mbit/s on 1.1).
    USB 3.0 is coming, hurry up and wait.......
    I have referenced this article many times
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Serial_Bus

3. h2k47

h2k47 Private E-2

reformatting the pen drive would remove my files which wont actually solve the problem..and yes, files dont show becuase of the stupid autorun feature in xp ... nyway , i cant see the files unless in safe mode and i have usb port 2.2 , it is a new PC ( Motherbrd : ASUSTeK P5K SE Intel P35. )
    any other suggestions?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds