FAT32 to NTFS Conversion

Discussion in 'Software' started by harry, Jun 21, 2004.

1. harry

harry Private "Bad" Joker

Hi,
    System;-
    O/S Windows xp pro, updated , sp1
    512 meg Ram
    80 gig hdd

I have been converting my networked computer drives from Fat 32 to NTFS, and so far everything is great. However I have yet to convert the "C" partition as I would like reassurance that the o/s on that computer will not be interfered with in any way. The conversions on the other partitions have been done by using command prompt and typing - - convert- (drive letter):/fs:ntfs
    But in another place the instructions are :-
    start - run - cmd - enter
    Then typing:- "help convert" the following instructions appear:-

CONVERT (drive letter):/ FS:NTFS /V /CutArea:filename /NoSecurity /X

where:-
    /V specifies that CONVERT should be run in verbose mode
    /CutArea:filename- specifies a contiguous file in the root directory to be the place holder for NTFS system files.
    /NoSecurity- specifies the converted files and directories security settings to be accessible to anyone.
    /X- forces the volume to dismount first if necessary. All opened handles to the volume would then be invalid.

Most of those explanations of command letters mean nothing to me!
    All I want to know is which method to use to ensure everything on my "C" drive stays the same as it was under FAT32?

One further point, I read that it is best to use "BootitNG" before converting
    to save space, but on my "C" drive I have a total capacity of 12.5 GB, of which I have only used 6.11GB.
    Sinse "BootitNG" apparently takes an age to run, and as I`m not bothered about space on this drive, is it necessary?

Hope the answer is not as long as the question!!! lol

As Usual, Thanks in Advance!!
    Harry.

Don`t know if this should be here or in Networking, if wrong could Admin please move! Thanks.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I have in the past when I first installed XP formatted to Fat32 by accident and did use the convert cmd to convert both my OS drive and my spare data drive to NTFS with no problems thats not to say nothing bad will happen as you well know Harry "shit happen" but it did work well, apart from the cluster size staying to 512kbs rather that the NTFS 4k default size but the benefits of NTFS far outweigh the cluster size.

but these days I do prefer not to use convert at all... a new install is generally the best option.

but if you have everything backed up then go for it NTFS is much more secure in data handleing than Fat32.

good luck :)

3. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.php

...has a fairly simple explaination of it.
    I have converted twice to NTFS on an XP machine) once with Pro, once with Home) without loosing any data.
    That is NOT to say that it wouldn't be smart to back-up first.
    Hope that helps a bit,

4. harry

Thanks Halo and Fiver22 for your replies.
    The reason I wanted to know was I dont fancy installing xp again ,with all the update palavar ( still on steam dial up!).
    But as you say I`ll just back up everyhing and go for it!!

You may even hear the screams in Canada!

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I really hope not Harry otherwise I will be thinking how the hell did I get to Canada ;)

6. harry

Note the deafening silence!
    All went well gents, thank you again.

7. fiver22

fiver22 Sergeant

Always good to hear that all went well.
    (no screams were heard up here in Kanada (sic.)...
    ...[spelling ref. from "Slow Riot for New Zer0 Kanada (E.P.)" by "Godspeed You Black Emperor!" -worthy of a listen for all music (and I mean 'M U S I C') fans.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds