favorite freeware firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lavarat, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Lavarat

Lavarat Private E-2

ZA
    Sygate (is it still free)
    others

What freeware trial version that you can use continuosly do you tech minded geeks recommend as the most secure over all product?

thank you much

2. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

I'm currently using Comodo free version and like it. I could be wrong but I don't think free version of Sygate is any longer supported.

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

4. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Has ZA ever fixed the problem of blocking you from the web once you've signed off but have not shut the system down?

5. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I have never had any problems with ZA on my computer. I have a personal network with 5 computers so I have ZA configured for that and also go thru a router and I have never had any problems.

Once ZA is installed, if set right nothing can go out or come in withour your approving it.

6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Signed off from what, your browser? I've used ZA for five years and it has never let me down yet, except for the vector problem shutdowns in an older version. I'd go with it even if it's not the best, better than Windows firewall and definitely better than having nothing at all.

I'll have to try Comodo again as it wasn't ready for prime time last summer, at least for me.

7. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Re the ZA problem I had, when I'd go off the web and back to my home page for a hour or so, it would block you from later access. The only way to get back on the internet was to reboot. This problem has been discussed on the forum previously and I know several individuals, including myself, who are now using other firewalls because of this. How are you guys getting around this or has this been fixed by ZA?

8. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

hi jud! back to the ZA blocking problem again. not sure why only certain users are having this problem but they are. to recap for those having no problems with it.... some users found that when you booted up. ZA allowed internet connection first time. but if you signed off. or left you connection idle for a while the firewall would block your connection. you had to turn the firewall off or reboot to get the connection back. even after adding you isp and connection to the trusted zone. a lot of people have posted in the ZA forum with the same problem. im using comodo now with no problems so i'll stick with it.

9. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Hey wildwolf, how are you? In thinking more about this ZA problem, I wonder if those who are having no problem actually are doing what we are and that is leaving the web and then leaving the system on. I know my son-in-law shuts his computer down each time he leaves it which can be several times a day. He obviously would never have this problem. I also have a brother-in-law and he never turns his PC off and actually leaves his system connected to the web all the time. Maybe will get some help here. Later, Jud

10. wildwolf220

doing good here jud thanks hows you been? to me if you set up the firewall to allow the connection it should never block it. there was an option to block if your system was idle for a time but i did'nt have that set. hopefully someone will have an answer and if not we will keep this thread going until they do :)

11. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Yeah, wolf, I didn't have the option to block set either.

12. augiedoggie

I've never had that issue. Hmm, come to think of it, I never kill my browser while I do something else, an experiment is coming.

13. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the input. Close down the web for at least 2 hours for the test w/o turning off your computer.

14. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Sygate. :)

15. augiedoggie

Yup, can't get back online and restarting ZA is not a good option as the connection is slowed. All OK after a reboot.

16. wildwolf220

im guessing this is a glitch with ZA thenconfused . kill you connection or leave it idle it blocks it. any suggestions guys? i hate leaving a problem unresolved.........

17. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Hi wolf, I guess this is the way ZA wants it. Apparently no one else seems to be aware of this so they must either shut down after leaving the web or stay connected.

18. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Thanks for the response. Out of curosity, how is it that you weren't aware of this?

19. wildwolf220

in one of augiedoggie earlier replies he said he never kills his browser. thats prob why he did'nt know. maybe more users have the same problem and dont know because of the way they use the internet. wonder if a quick email to ZA themselves is worth a try.

20. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Yes, I think that is what is going on...you and I do it differently.

21. Strange1

Strange1 Staff Sergeant

I prefer Kerio, My son prefers ZA. However, I use Pc-cillin internet security (AV, FW combined) on my personal comp. In the future when I install a free FW , I am going to go Comodo. I hear good things about it.

Jack

22. augiedoggie

That's correct, I leave my system on 24/7 for folding except for the summer days which need air conditioning during which I shut the rig down. I just never saw a need to shut down the browser while doing something else. I believe ZA know about the problem via their forums as someone above stated something to that effect.

23. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Are you saying you leave your system on the internet 24/7...365?

24. augiedoggie

Basically yes on a good cable connection which doesn't drop out if not used. I've had zero problems in the five years doing it this way.

25. Jud149

Jud149 First Sergeant

Very interesting...I always thought that could lead to security problems, even though I use all anti virus, firewall, etc. recommended here.

26. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

as a late addition to this thread, my zone alarm claims it will cease to be free come the middle of february... is this the general case or am i missing something?

27. augiedoggie

Hmm, never got that yet, I'm running 6.5.xxx and I'm upgrading to 7.0.xxx today which was just released a week ago. It's still free AFAIK. http://majorgeeks.com/ZoneAlarm_Free_d388.html

28. crazylegs

crazylegs Private E-2

Another vote for Comodo here. It plays well with my AV (AVAST) and my e-mail (T-Bird). Played well with OE also.
    Crazylegs

29. lostinjapan

lostinjapan Private E-2

earlier this month r late last month i got a message to update my zone alarm and since then occasionally i have received a popup telling me it will no lnger be free come february...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds