Favorites folder empty win 8.1

Discussion in 'Software' started by Solyez, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Solyez

Solyez Private E-2

Upgraded my OS from Windows 8 to 8.1
    Now the Favorites "star" in IE11 is empty and I cannot locate my previous Favorites folder on the computer. The C:/users/user/Favorites is also empty.
    How can I retrieve my old Favorites that I had?
    Thank you.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

That's weird, do you use an email login to your Windows 8 PC? if so then possible that you can recover the favourites via that, as Windows does save contacts and favs to your account, so that it replicates on all Win 8 devices you login to using said email and password.

AS C: User I gather you are using in place of 2nd user your account name? Just checking!

Do you see a file named Windows.old in your C drive?
    Do you have a System Restore Point that was before the upgrade as that can hold your Favourites folder.

3. Solyez

Solyez Private E-2

Thanks DavidGP,
    I have already tried all your suggestions short of System Restore to no avail. No Windows.old and couldn't get any recovery from Microsoft login. And yes, the second 'user' is my account.

Solved the problem by going to one of my Windows Backup and Restore files on an external drive and copying the Favorites into Win 8.1 Favorites folder. That in itself wasn't an easy task as Win 8.1 doesn't have the old Backup and Restore function, so I had to open the files externally and find the Favorites folder.
    Have a good mind to revert to Win 8.0!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds