FBW vista back up nightmare

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by fdlvsjns, Jul 1, 2010.

1. fdlvsjns

fdlvsjns Private E-2

I was recently forced to completely reformat my Pavillion 8100. As I had lost the original recovery disks i purchased new ones from HP. The first thing recovery requested was that I backup files if desired.

it took almost 24 hours and required 32 disks.

Problem: during back up the computer froze after burning disk 22.

I went back to the beginning and the program started from scratch.

Not a good excuse but my reason not to spend another 36 hours on back up. I had a serious stupid attack.

i am in a job search and had 2 resumes in that were actually a good fit. As my computer went down on wed, it took till monday to get the recovery disks and it was now tuesday afternoon, I opted to just keep what i had recovered and reformat.

Now when i boot the recovery disks the program asks for disk 32. As my back up only lasted to disk 22, there doesn't seem to be any way around this.

When I try to open the disk the computer sends me to a place i can get FBW file fixing programs, but these all say they can fix a corrupt file. My files aren't corrupt as i understand the term. I simply can't get the disk the computer wants to start recovery. I am guessing that all files were listed in order and the program needs the final disk to sort everything out.

I would like to just open the disk and select the files i want to keep.

How do i get around this problem without destroying what small amount of back up i have????

I haven't seen this problem listed anywhere so far. Hard to believe that i am the only person ever to have this problem.

any ideas?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. fdlvsjns

fdlvsjns Private E-2

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Welcome to MajorGeeks;

Im allmost laughing, have you not heard of dvds? 32 disc's? Now if you only have 22 of the 32 you are done, its like putting half your operating system on and try to figure out why it wont work, Im afraid you wasted 22 disc's. ed

4. fdlvsjns

fdlvsjns Private E-2

They were dvds. it would take over 100 cds. my back up was almost 400 gigs. i did find an extractor that can pull the information from the dvds. glad you got a laugh. there are so few available.
    thanks for the reply

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Unless you changed the original HD, they come with a restore partition built in, you need to look at a external HDs for future back ups, do you still have the original HD?? ed

6. fdlvsjns

fdlvsjns Private E-2

Ed,
    As i indicated in the original thread i was forced to completely reformat the HD. Also i searched and found a program that allows me to extract my back up information from the 22 disks. It is hard to believe what the computer thinks of as valuable information.
    thanks for your response.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds