Feasability of upgrading CPU on i810 chipset

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by happycampers, Oct 9, 2004.

1. happycampers

happycampers Private E-2

Good morning from a newbie,

In the process of (hopefully) upgrading my HP Pavilion XE783 PC, Intel 810 chipset, Celeron 700 MHz CPU (socket 370), currently have 128MB RAM, but have a 256MB DIMM ordered to bring it up to 320MB. ATX form factor motherboard. (Partial System Information log is attached). Running Win ME.
    I see that there Celeron CPU's greater than 700 MHz that are socket 370 out there, but I don't know how to go about determining what is compatabile with my motherboard/system resources.
    Also interested in upgrading my video, which appears to be built into the 'board- but I'm not seeing an AGP slot.
    I'm currently taking an A+ IT essentials course, so I know just enough to be dangerous...
    Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. airwolf9090

airwolf9090 Corporal

i'm useing a compaq deskpro 500mhz it is also a 810 chipset you know you maynot have to upgrade your video if you just upgrade you video driver from intel it will make you games and software think it is a 64mb video i did that now i can play a good game like gta3

3. happycampers

happycampers Private E-2

airwolf9090,

Thank you! I did not know that one could upgrade the drive for a built in video card. I did what you suggested, restarted my PC, and then I said Oh.
    My. God. Even the desktop image is sharper, clearer, and has more color depth. Pictures, graphics, video- the quality of everything displayed is 100% better. Thanks again!
    On to the original question (of upgrading the cpu). Did some more research, and found that the 810 chipset series only supports the Celeron CPU up to 700 MHz- which is what I'm running. Slight possibility that the chipset would accept up to an 850 MHz Pentium, but for the increase of 150 MHz, it's probably not worth it.
    My RAM stick came yesterday, so I will through that in and add a USB 2.0 card that I bought, and call it good, until I start building a new PC.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds