Fed up with emule

Discussion in 'Software' started by Computer Acolyte, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Computer Acolyte

Computer Acolyte Private First Class

I'm really fed up with emule and its impossible queue system. I'd like to get a p2p program that simply lets you connect and download, but I don't know what good ones are there. KaZaA is out of the question, and WinMX doesn't seem to work, what other worthwhile p2p programs would you recommend?

2. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

Yeah, leechers don't like E-mule. Go figure. :p

The mule rules. Know it.

3. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

hi, try bearshare or ares or even shareaza all are free to use but be carefull on the p2p - lots of nasties, have your anti-virus fully up to date and scan everything

4. Computer Acolyte

I know you're joking, but that's really not the issue. I have it for a month now, I haven't downloaded one single thing because I can't get past queues, and when I do get past somebody's queue I only get 300 Kb before I stop recieving from them. It's impossible to get anything done like that.

5. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Are you connected with a lowID ? I don't use p2p myself but from what i've seen of emule you need to set up port forwarding on your router to make sure you have a good connection.

Matt

6. Computer Acolyte

I don't think I have any port blockage, but for the test tell me how I can make sure that I have a high enough ID.

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Its not about how high it is. You either have a LowID or HighID. look in the bottom corner where the connection status is. there are 2 connection 'arrows' one is for the normal network and one is for KAD network.

Check the colours of the arrows, if they are both green you have a highID and if they are yellow you have a lowID and are probably behind a firewall or don't have the correct ports forwarded.

Goto the options page and look under connections, there is a button that says test ports. Click it and it will show a webpage with the status of your ports.

Matt

8. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

Well, but then, there surely must be some mis-configuration somewhere.
    In any case, ed2k network (now coupled with kad network, which is pretty cool) is imho the best p2p network, and the credit and queue systems used are by far the fairest, or shall we say, the least unfair?
    I personally love it, I find almost 99% of what I look for, and I get it. The point is that, even if everything is correctly set-up, and assuming you are not behind a firewall or router that's blocking you, most things won't start downloading at full speed the moment you click on download. Speed and other things depend on many factors.

People should really learn how something works before bashing it. It's like msn messenger, that people always told me "It's faster than icq", when it's really not faster, just creates the illusion of being instantaneus. And it pisses me off 'cause msn crappenger sucks so much it makes me want to rip my hair off everytime I'm forced to use it :p

Tell me if you want, and need it, help with emule configuration to make it work and we'll try to see what's wrong in your set-up.
    If you are determined to use another p2p network no matter what, you can always try bit torrent, which is fashionable these days, and good I think. :>

/Regards

9. Computer Acolyte

They are both green.

10. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

And the results of the port test?

Matt

11. Computer Acolyte

Well what happens is that I get queues of 300-2000, which takes about 8-12 hours to pass, and then I don't get much downloading done before the transfer is severed.

Here's what I think is relevant, tell me if you need anything more.

TCP 4662
    UDP 4672
    Port test was positive.

Download 466 KB/s
    Upload 39 KB/s
    Figures picked after running an online connection test found on the eMule forums, and lowered a bit according to the suggestions there.

Proxy not enabled.

12. Computer Acolyte

Both positive.

13. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

I can't see why there would be a problem then.

Sorry I can't help more. perhaps you oculd try the emule forums.

Matt

14. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

It really depends on the amount of sources, i.e., availability the file has, and if it's a popular or rare download.
    Disregard the queue, how many "sources" do the files you want to download have?

Everything looks correct, but you know, I've found that sometimes NOT using the default port numbers helps. Why? Well, I've got my own conspiracy theories, but I'll keep them to myself. ;)

Change tcp and udp ports to something else, like 3000 and 3001. You can even set tcp port to 80 which is the same port the http web protocol uses, and it works.-
    Open those ports in any firewall software you may be using and re-do port check.

/Regards

15. Computer Acolyte

Some have 8, others 2.

I changed the ports (tcp 80, udp 3000), and the test was positive, so I'll leave it for a few hours to see how it progresses.

16. Mav3rik

Mav3rik Private E-2

Cool.
    Anyway, 8 or 2 sources are like, well, very few. And in general it takes much more time to download things with few sources. Try to leave e-mule connected for as long as you can to get up in those queues and get the files.

Other than that I don't think there's much you can do.
    Or try a wider search to get more results. Sometimes you miss the most popular files due to excessive search filter key words.

/Regards

17. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

can i just put my 2p's worth in,
    i primarily use bearshare and can download a 700meg file in about 2 hours when i use ares it takes maybe 5-6 depending on users online, on both p2p the more users the faster download,
    i use zone alarm firewall and have no problem with my connection through it

18. vlhx

vlhx Private E-2

I've grown fond of limewire. I'm not sure if there's more content on emule, but it's a breeze to get going.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds