fedora/windows lan problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coulange, Apr 4, 2011.

1. coulange

coulange Private E-2

Hi all,

I recently installed Fedora 14 on my box, which dual boots with Windows 7 ultimate, both operating systems work fine, no running issues whatsoever. Since the install of Fedora, the lan port I was using at the time has stopped working in windows at all. It still works in Fedora without a problem, when I boot into windows it just says "a network cable is unplugged". The 2nd port on my board works fine in windows, but i do unplug it and use the other one for fear of the same thing happening and having an internetless win7.

I have tried disabling it, re-enabling it, uninstalling it, re-installing it, updating the drivers, a new cable(although that never seemed to be the problem).

One "abnormal " part of the dual boot is that i select the os through fedora not through windows as is the case in most dual boot walk-throughs online.

2. GeeksChat

GeeksChat Private E-2

Are you using a card-based NIC or the one on the motherboard?

Have you tried using a NIC card to see if that works okay in Windows?

How much have you invested (time/file wise) in setting up Fedora? Would it be possible to uninstall it to see whether the failing NIC comes back to life?

I get the feeling Fedora is "grabbing" the NIC on boot, but without testing the theory it's only a guess.

Sorry I can't offer more specific advice, but let us know if any of the above helps/works?

Cheers,
    Shaun :)

3. holiday

holiday Private E-2

You might want to record your current BIOS settings and then reset the BIOS.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds