FF 3 "Security Zone Policy"?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grc123, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Anyone figured this out yet? I can update programs via the programs themselves, but cannot update through this new browser (webpages, including here @ MG's).

VERY frustrating as my SpywareBlaster (Javacool) has a new version that I can only get through a webpage.

Also cannot get my FF Add-On's to work ... at all.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi grc

Can you give me some link to what applications and updating is done via a webpage as your post above/quotes below from contradict themselves?

Spywareblaster is one of those applications, in that its new version is ONLY via a webpage ( maybe different if you use the paid for version ) as its udpater is only for definition updates for the blocked items, many other applications will/maybe be similar.

Firefox 3, and any other previous version of Firefox, nearly always suffere from many add-ons that will not work as they have not been updated as yet to be compatible, do check all the favorites of yours to see if they are FF3 compatible https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/ .

This sadly is the downside of new applications and being within the early adopter users of any application.

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Also before you install SpywareBlaster, follow the directions to disable all protection, close the program and use the add/remove program icon in control panel to uninstall it before installing the new version.

4. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Hi Halo - sorry about the mis-communication.

What I meant was; IF I were able to "get" (download) the new version of SpywareBlaster, it would/could only be done through a webpage (site) - not (currently) through the user interface on my PC.

I will follow your instructs. on the remainder - thank you.

And plodr, thank you too very much.

g ...

5. DavidGP

No Probs.

Yes that is correct for this (Spywareblaster) application, in that with a software update it is not done through the application itself, but by downloading the newer version.

The only thing that you can update either manually or automatically* from the application is the Protection Database Updates/Definition Updates only.

*for automatic updates you would need to pay for the software, where as manual updates are free.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

What firewall are you using? Remember FF3 is a new program as far as your firewall in concerned. It might be blocking downloads to protect you.

7. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

Not using the FW that I'd like to, but rather the Vista OS FW - but this is an Excellent point, but I'm not sure how to let things through it as I was with Zone Alarm??

I'll go immediately to it though and try ...

~*UPDATE*~ ok, I have six (6) things there

1. Firefox
    2. Lexmark Communications System (which is my "new-to-me" printer ... that won't work!)
    3. Windows Media Player (which I think I could lose!)
    4. Yahoo FT Server (File Transfer???)
    5. Yahoo Messenger (which I almost never use)
    6. Yahoo Music JukeBox (which I am certain I can do better than)

I did recently uncheck "Core Networking" thinking that I didn't need it ... could THAT be my problem?

Thanks ...
    ~*UPDATE II*~ - nope, not Core Networking ... unless I need to restart after re-enabling it?

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  8. grc123

grc123 MajorGeek

:eek: L-o-n-g loud sigh ...

Well, in my infinite wIsDoM, seems I had things set-up differently in different User Accounts. I have four (4 ... long story ...), two of which I typically frequent/use.

Now, one of those two, which I referred to as my "Admin" (though later learned here at MG's, was "not really" an admin account?) I thought I had more securely configured, arranged, set-up - whatever. Since I had been having trouble recently, I had switched-over to that account, which I thought might provide me a better chance at diagnosing, tweaking, and keeping secure whilst online. Wrong again. I've been able to straighten some things out by going back-over to the main user that I had been using to access the internet, perform most downloads (virtually all of them), etc.

I really have to figure-out the whole "UAC" and "Permissions" thing(s). It seems like a fundamental/foundational type of thing that is really holding me back from learning some of these other things ...

Thanks as always! :major

9. DavidGP

Hi grc

Can you can connect to the internet with Firefox? if so then then firewall will not be blocking it and its more like you didnt know how Spywareblaster updates over any issue with Firefox.

So unless your having issue with firefox not connecting to the internet then the other questions you posted above are for seperate threads of which you already have one on the Vista firewall active in software, so I will close this one out and if you are still having issue with the thread original question then PM me and I will re-open it.

Always best to stick to one topic per thread, having multiple various questions will not only confuse you but us at times as to what the question is.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds