File Association on Zips

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkfoxx, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Darkfoxx

Darkfoxx Private E-2

I have a program called "Family Tree Maker" on my computer that aotomatically tries to open and run any zipped program that I save to my desktop. It automatically associates itself with all my files and tries to run them. How can I stop it from associating itself and just stay with the Family Tree Maker program and files only. It gives me the option to change it in the properties of some zipps but I dont wont it to take over the program zipps to start with.
    It's a desktop Hp celeron computer running Windows M.E.
    Thanks,
    darkfoxx

2. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

If you have winzip take options>configuration>system>associate winzip with archives and configure association.

3. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

All file associations can be managed from one menu. To get to the menu open up an explorer window (such as my computer) and click tools->folder options (It's been many years since I've used ME, on ME it may be under view->folder options). Then simply click the file types tab. This screen lists every extension which is associated with something. In your case you want to go to the very bottom of the list and click on ZIP. Then simply associate it with whatever program you like.

4. Darkfoxx

Darkfoxx Private E-2

Ok, I found it. What is a good program to change to so it will open it and other zips? Explorer is about the best in the list that I see. It gives the option to change to another program but I'm not sure which one to use. What is the standard program usually used by windows to open zips?
    thanks for your help.

5. Darkfoxx

Darkfoxx Private E-2

I can't find out where to mak zip work!

6. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

7-Zip
    WinRAR
    WinZip

Download and install one of the above file archive tools, when asked set it to be the default program for zip files, you will be asked either during installation or the first time you run the program. 7-Zip is free the other 2 are shareware.

7. bchivers

bchivers Private First Class

I vote for 7-Zip. If you use it go to tools >options >system and you will be able to choose which files you want 7-Zip to open.

8. Brandon

Brandon controlmind

Same with WinRAR go to Options > Settings > Integration > Make sure Zip is checked.

controlmind

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

My current favorite is:

http://www.zipgenius.it/index_eng.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds