File Associations in W2k

Discussion in 'Software' started by pete james, Apr 30, 2005.

1. pete james

pete james Private E-2

File Associations in W2K - For reasons not unconnected with being a bloody idiot I have attempted to open a binary file I downloaded in Notebook!! Problem is that now any file of that type is associated with Notebook. I've tried deleating the folder & unzipping the download again but it still shows up in Windows Explorer Properties as Opens in Wordpad. I've tried burning the file to disk & then loading the disk but the OS still tries to treat the file as Wordpad.
    What I want to do is to return the file association to whatever it was before I messed it up. Problem is that clicking on 'open as ' only gives me a choice of loaded programs whereas I don't think I want to be opening a binary file at all as it should be a disc image of a CD.
    At this point I'm getting way out of my depth. If I was running Millenium I'd restore the system back to it's previous configuration but 2K doesn't seem to have that facility.
    Any suggestions apart from the obvious one of getting a decent a decent pair of glasses before clicking on the wrong icon?
    System is running W2K Pro SP4- can't see the hardware is relavent here.
    ThanX
    pete james pj@siriusplanet.com

2. pete james

pete james Private E-2

Sorry, I meant Wordpad all the way through on that post - I've just gotta get them glasses.

3. capn_caveman

capn_caveman Sergeant

Or to do it manually, you could open up any old folder in windows explorer and go to the tools option at the top of the page, click on "folder options", then click on the "file type" tab in the application that appears. From here you can locate the file type that you managed to change. Now double click the file type and then you can do one of two things: you can delete the file type record by pressing delete (don't worry this doesn't delete anything except for the association). Windows will then not recognize this file type as it was before. Or you can change the default program that opens the file with the "change" button. Hope this helps.

4. pete james

pete james Private E-2

Thanx for your help oh trogladyte of commisioned rank. Very close but not quite there yet. Followed your guidance & have been through the list of file types and unfortunately the .bin extension is conspicuous only by its absence as Grace Slick was known to remark. (Went to the view tab and unchecked "Hide file extensions for known types" 'cause knowing what I'm dealing with, here, might be a help.) Anyway, back to the File Types tab and the only extension that has the Word Pad icon against it is MTP. I gather that's something to do with my translation software so I won't be messin' with that.
    Mmm.....now what?
    I'd considered the change file association route when I opened the 'file properties widow' That's how I got myself in this mess in the first place via the 'open with' option when I right clicked on the original icon. Incidentally, I didn't check the aways box so why the problem persists I don't know. Problem is that I don't want to change it to open with any of the progs listed. I think I need to end up with one of those little MS flags on a white backgroung which I take it denotes an application. So how do I get there from here?
    It did occur to me to click on new on the file types tab, type in .bin in the File Ext window but what then? I see the pull down in Associated File Types has Binary Data as an Item. I've an awful feeling that if I start messing around in there, this machine may never work again.
    Another option that occurs is to associate that file type to a program I've got called Undisker which is for handling disk image files but as I've only just downloaded the demo I'm still not sure how relevent that's going to prove.
    I s'pose a third option would be to give up swiping interesting files off of P2P sites and usenet boards but that'd take the fun outa the thing.

pj@siriusplanet.com

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds