File Download Warning Box won't quit

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ace McCool, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Hi All,
    Not sure if I am in the right Forum, but here goes.

I have a warning box that keeps appearing every time I start up my IE. I have tried everything I can think of to make it stop popping up. I have downloaded the file to a folder and tried to delete it, I have scanned it for bugs, I have even risked and opened the thing, thinking it would then be satisfied, but it returns when I open the IE again and again. I cannot find where this file is hiding on my system to go directly to delete it. I cannot figure out how to get this off my system. This all started when I was looking at Googles new Plus system, trying to find out why my Firefox kept kicking me out of Youtube.(still have to figure that one out yet) Can anyone help me here?

Please see attachment for screen shot.

Oh Running win2000, don't laugh, its very stable, and IE6, and Firefox 8. Waiting for Micro-crap to finally develop a OS that is good.
    Thanks

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

3. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Also,,Win XP was and still ispretty reliable and easy to use. I'm on one now.:)

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

If you're not afraid to get up to date, Windows 7 is much better than any previous M$ OS, in my opinion. ;-)

5. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Hi All,
    Thanks for the info so far. Trying to attach the image of this problem once more. Guess I got it wrong the first time. Have a look and tell me how to get rid of this thing, other than just checking the box to stop the message that is.

Will look at Win 7 soon, but hear the Win 8 is out this fall, so maybe wait?

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Have you cleaned the IE cache?? Or located where the file is originating from??

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I won't claim to know much about Windows 8... I haven't researched it much. I do know it will be much different than Windows 7 (and all the previous versions of Windows) in its interface... and I'm not sure I'm ready for that (at least as my main everyday productivity OS). I just know that I really like Windows 7 (and I went from Windows 98SE, to Windows 2000, to Windows XP... then to Windows Vista but hated Vista so much I reverted to XP, and finally to Windows 7).

As to your dialogue box, what does the "more info" button provide? Also, have you cleaned out all temp files, cookies, etc.?

To be honest, my guess is that Google+ isn't going to work with Windows 2000/IE6, and the browser doesn't know what to do with that file, which normally would be handled internally by a more up to date browser.

8. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

I think mcsmc may be right. The link I sent goes to Search Everything which helps you anage files. I use it to "DELETE" files after I uninstall software,,even AVs. Just type the name of the file on top it will be the only fies by that name that will show up. Also try Ccleaner or Glary Utilities. I really hope this helps!!!!

9. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Hi All,
    I had no intent of using Google+ at all, was just looking off a link from a news article on the topic. Do not believe in social media, to much info out there for my liking.

Yes I have cleaned out the cache and cookies with every cleaning tool I have. Ran C-Cleaner, Emp Temp, Reg Seeker, Cyber Scrub, to no success. This box still pops up every time I open IE. I have even saved it and tried to delete it that way, no luck, have opened the file to satisfy its prompt, and it still comes back. I have tried to search my system to find where the file is sitting to no luck. This I did all before posting for help.

The "more info" box just opens the IE Help window telling you how to save a document or file, so that is a dead end as well.

Any Ideas??!!

Thanks

10. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

http://www.voidtools.com/ ,this really should work, it should bring the file to you,then right click on it and delete. I'm sorry to keep repeating myself ,but it works for me. I'm really at a loss at the moment,,I'm hoping for ideas too,,just to make sure i'm not on the wrong track!!!!

11. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Hi Nick,
    Should have said earlier. Downloaded your file and tried it, no luck. Would not find any of the names in that box. Nice program though, will keep it to find other files when needed, very fast.

So still trying to sort this thing out. Got to head out, but will check back in later tonight to see if any more posts.

Thanks

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

13. Ace McCool

Ace McCool Private E-2

Thanks Plodr.
    I read the link you supplied and checked the "Use HTTP 1.1" box as it was not checked, and the "Use HTTP 1.1 through proxy connection" box was already checked off, so I left it as such. So far that appears to be working.

Still do not understand what I was dealing with however. What was this bit of code that haunted me, and why is it now mute? Every time I have an issue, I do like to learn from the experience, as it helps me to maybe avoid it again, and learn more about tech.

If this thing shows up again, I will come back to this thread and post it.

Anyway, not looking a gift horse in the mouth, so thank you ever so much for your assistance. Major Geeks rule always!!

Mark

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds