File Error: SHELL.DLL can not be found

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trouble822, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

Hi, I had this error, Shell.dll can not be found. I have replaced the file with a downloaded one and copied it to both C:\system and C:\system32, I no longer have that error but when I put a CD-rom into my drive I now get the error "one of the libary files needed to run N:\setup.exe is damaged" please help...

2. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

From several previous experiences I came to believe the only time this file is missing or stated to be missing is because of a malicious infection on the system. Have you scanned your system with an update virus scanner to make sure such a thing is not the case?

3. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

I did several scans with bitdefender, avg, spyware and adware. i even scaned with hijack this and posted log on help2go detective to see if any thing was bad. I dont know what to do next, please please help!

4. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Have you used all them virus scanners in the 'Safe Mode'? Also was Windows 'System Restore' turned off? If yes, then I guess that is not the problem, at least not any more.

See if this helps:

Start > Run > cmd ;)/k ;)sfc ;)/scannow

Note: leave one space where you see a wink. This process would normally require XP CD to be present in the CD-ROM drive. Do this in the normal mode not safe

5. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

Thanks.... I did run my programs in safe mode, and turned off system restore. the only thing I didn't run in safe mode was hijack.

Tried, that run thing ... excuse my terminology, actually tried twice to make sure I was doing it correctly, it doesn't seem to have fixed the problem. I don't know what to do.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Trouble,

I'm like Turcoloco, I have come across an error similar to that before. So just to rule something out, the error message you posted below.

"one of the libary files needed to run N:\setup.exe is damaged"

Is that the full error message or is there something before it? Also, are you using Windows XP?

Steve

7. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

the exact message is "cant run 16-bit windows program" then under "one of the library files needed to run m:\setup.exe iss damaged. please reinstall program" then when i reinstall, i get a message "uninstaller unable to load, program may not uninstall" then after reinstallation the same 16 bit message comes up.... its a program that has been on my computer already, and used to work fine.

8. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

oh and it is XP professional

9. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I wrote a technical documentation at work regarding an application failing to start due to a 'missing shell.dll' file which is normally 5,120bytes in size and resides at 2 locations: C:\Windows\System and C:\Windows\System32\dllcache.
    You can delete the shell.dll file from any folder but it will spawn right back within a few seconds, so you will have to boot your system in the 'Safe Mode' to be able to delete this file from these 2 locations.

First have a clean copy of the file available directly on the C drive (make sure you get a clean from another XP machine or something.

1) Boot your system in safe mode.

2) Start > Control Panel > Folder Options and make sure your setting on the 'View' tab matches the attached screenshot.

3) Now open Windows Explorer and browse to these 2 locations to find and delete the 'Shell.dll' file:

C:\Windows\System
    C:\Windows\System32\dllcache

After deleting the files you could press F5 to refresh the screen and confirm the file is gone. Final step, copy the good shell.dll file from the backup location (C drive) to these 2 locations above (copy/paste would work).
    Make sure the file is copied to these 2 locations and then reboot your system in the normal matter to see if the problem still exists.

If problem continues then either the infection still exist or that application's files should be corrupted, I suggest you uninstall the program, delete its program folder under (C:\Program Files is default installation location).
    Reboot your system and then re-install the application.

Good Luck. ;)

Attached Files:

10. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

ok heres what happened, i downloaded a new shell.dll file, then rebooted in safe. i copied the file to system, and then when i went to put in system32\dllcache, it wasnt there. i did a search for the dllcache folder and it was in C:\system\lastgood ????? thought i would copy the entire folder and put a copy where i thought it was supposed to be and now the folder is missing. i searched it and nothing comes up now, i know i copied it, so where did the original go, and the folder i copied?? and also i cant uninstall the programs i am trying to get to work. my computer is getting awfully close to getting tossed out the window.

11. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

I am sorry but you totally lost me, at this point I have no idea what you did.
    The instructions I gave you were accurate as I tested it on my test system.
    When you boot in normal mode and I am hoping you did change your folder options settings just like the ones on the screenshot I attached earlier, you should be able to see the C:\Windows\System32\dllcache folder, if you do then go in and delete the shell.dll file, hit F5 to see if the file respawns, if not then reboot in the safe mode, delete the shell.dll file in the C:\Windows\System folder, the copy over the good one there.
    ALso where did you download the shell.dll file from? I seriously do not like to download system files from the Internet, get it from another XP system if you can because the problem might be with the file you downloaded also check its size to see if it is indeed 5120byte (5.12Kb) if not get rid of it.

12. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

whatever i did, it didnt work so i tried it again. this time i was in normal mode, i checked to make sure all files were visable through folder options, just like the picture. then i deleted the shell.dll file from both locations. then i tried to click on the desktop and a error message pops up, something about windows needed a file to run and to insert the xp disc. so i do, then it plops a new shell.dll in both locations. so i check the file size like you said... the new shell is 5120 bytes and the old two are 16mb and 12.8mb????? thats not right is it??? anyway now when i put the cdrom in, i still get the error "one of the libary files need to run m:\setup.exe is damaged" then i right click on the icon, then explore to open the autorun.exe and i get the message "this applicaion falled to start because winspool.dll was not found. reinstalling the applicaion may fix this program" but then when i reinstall, i get the error "uninstaller failed to install, you may have a problem uninstalling this application" ??????????

13. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Have you already tried runnin the System File Checker?
    Start > Run > cmd > ok > (type) sfc /scannow > (press) Enter

note: between sfc and the forward slash sign there is a space.
    If you have not copied the i386 folder from the XP CD to your harddisk and modified the 3 registry entries to point to folder on the HD, then this operation will ask for your XP CD, ok?
    Let this utility run and once completed, remove the CD and reboot.

One thing I'd like to add is the program you are trying to install from the CD. What is it? Could the problem be with that program? Does that program install fine on another system?

14. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

I tried running that already. I actually tried again, just in case I might have done something wrong. it didnt work.

the applications are actually my daughters games. there are 3 of them that wont work. two of them are new, and the one used to work and now all of a sudden no longer works. but some of the other one dont get any errors. i think a virus destroyed some of my protected files.

what is this new winspool.dll error???? im so not good at this computer stuff.

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If Xp refuses to handle 16bit programs, you have a corrupt system file.

Open Windows Explorer & navigate to Windows\repair. Copy "autoexec.nt" & "config.nt" to the system32 folder.

See if that allows you to install the games.

Steve

16. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Trouble82, please do try what Steve (Matacumbie) suggested as that is a very valid fix for the 16-bit sub-system error message.
    Re-post and let us know.

Matacumbie thanks for the help. ;)

17. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

thanks much... that worked for the application that was previously installed on my computer but, the other two wont finishing installing or uninstall, so they still arent working

18. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Same 16bit error?

Steve

19. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Well, from what I have seen mainly there are 2 possibilities for the AUTOEXEC.NT file to get deleted/corrupted from the C:\Windows\System32 folder:

1) ServicePack 2 installation
    2) Virus infection

Were those two files there and you only replaced the missing one or did you do a copy/paste?
    You might want to try booting in Safe Mode, then delete the Autoexec.nt and Config.nt files from C:\Windows\System32 location then copy the good ones from C:\Windows\Repair folder.

The problem could also be with the Games/Software you are installing. If the program you are installing fails to complete the installation, the problem is not always OS related. There is a chance the program itself could be corrupted or if you are installing to the same location, the corrupt files from the previous installation could be causing the problem as well. Also, the source could be infected (a game being installed from a CD that has the virus) thus causing the problem over and over. Try installing the game to a different folder, for example, instead of the default C:\Program Files\... folder, try to install it to a new location such as C:\Games\... and see what happens.

I am just giving you scenarios to keep your eyes open, autoexec.nt file was design to have the DOS (16-bit) programs to run in the XP environment so it is not used by 32-bit Windows application which most post-1998 software are. So, again the problem could very well be with the software in question or a still-resident virus infector.

20. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

21. Trouble822

Trouble822 Private E-2

thanks, I tried reinstalling in another folder. that actually did allow me to finish installing and I didnt get any error untill the end. what I dont understand about this error is that theres a 16bit and a 32bit setup.exe so it should be able to run??? no?? i dont know. ill try those other things you suggested and see if they work

22. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Hey, one of the user's had the same problem on his laptop with one of the applications we support so I booted in Safe Mode, deleted the Config.NT and Autoexec.NT files in C:\Windows\System32 folder (if one existed for each), then deleted the Shell.dll file (might want to do a search to make sure you got them all) in C:\Windows\System, C:\Windows\System32\dllcache and any other folder I found one in.
    Then copy over the Autoexec.NT and Config.NT files from C:\Windows\Repair folder to C:\Windows\System32 folder. Once you are done with that then copy the 'good' shell.dll file to these locations:
    C:\Windows\System
    C:\Windows\System32\dllcache

and also copy one to
    C:\Windows\System32

then boot in normal mode and see if the 'Can't find Shell.dll, 16-bit sub system error comes up again.... hope this workaround helps you too! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds