File extensions changing automatically

Discussion in 'Software' started by Madhurima, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Madhurima

Madhurima Private E-2

Hello all,

I have a 320 GB external Hard drive from Iomega. Off late, I can see most of my avi, MPG and mp3 files changing on its own to JPg files!

I thought it to be a problem with the laptop I have ( probably a virus). I then plugged it into my new desktop which had an updated antivirus in it and I then scanned the hard drive for infections. It cleaned a lot of W32 sally virus (wonder what that is). After scanning, I had hopes that the problem would have sorted out but to my dismay, things havent changed.

I can do " Open with" and open the video or audio files with media player, but why are they changing into Jpeg files????

And if i Change the file extensions, they revert back to its original form, only to change back into JPG later:(

PLEASE HELP SOMEONE....

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Quote from Chaslang:

3. Madhurima

Madhurima Private E-2

Thanks a ton Kestrel.... I could have messed up my External hard drive with Combofix!!!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds