File Properties Constantly Wrong

Discussion in 'Software' started by Neil Jones, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

What is the reason that I would not get a match? Please see screenshot. Every time I right click and chose Properties it gives me a different file count and different size that's never right. I've never had the kinds of file problems I'm having now before I installed Window 7 64bit Pro.

Attached Files:

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Select all the files and then press the control key and deselect thumbs.db and see if you get a correct amount. It seems that when you include Thumbs.db which is supposed to be a hidden file, it is only selecting your Solidworks part files: you have 9 of those.

3. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I did what you suggested and it was still wrong. I then deleted the thumbs.db. It makes no difference. It's still always wrong.

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

I am not sure what it could be. Searching came up with file system corruption to malware. Maybe somebody here can jump in and give their thoughts on this.

Edit: If you go into folder options and check Hide System Files and also check don't show Hidden Files, does it change anything?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  5. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I'll try that as soon as I finish running error-checking on the drive. The drive that is having this problem is a 2tb Samsung drive that's never had an OS installed to it. It's an internal drive that's running externally using USB 2.0.

6. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

Tried this and it didn't help.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

You ran chkdsk /f on the drive and had no errors? Does this happen if every folder--regardless of how many files are in it?

Can you give a screenshot of another folder so we can look for a pattern.

8. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I ran error checking after right clicking and selecting Properties and selecting the Tools tab.

It's only happening on one folder as far as I can tell. I copied the original folder to another USB backup drive... same problem.

9. sach2

If it is only one folder then maybe try creating an empty folder copying those 14 files to it and testing your properties. If they match then rename the old folder to something different and rename the new folder to the original name. (It may be no different then copying the whole folder as is but I would try it anyway just to rule out something wrong with the way the folder itself is being read.)

10. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

I did what you suggested and found the problem. It seems if the path is too long in Windows 7 64 bit you get bogus reported info from Windows File Explorer. When I shortened the path by creating a new folder and moving it all the nonsense stopped. Its now gotten to the point where I just don't trust Windows File Explorer for anything because Linux gives the right file info and Windows doesn't.

Thanks for saving my donkey yet again. All the help you have given me on this forum is truly appreciated.

11. sach2

Thanks for posting the solution. :)

I would never have found those long names. I just spent ten minutes counting characters in the names of your screenshot trying to figure out which 5 files were being left out because of length. The first 3 were easy but the last two were tricky. The way those files look in the screenshot and the actual number of characters in the file name is deceiving.

12. Neil Jones

Neil Jones Private E-2

Don't think it's the file names in this particular case. I think it has to do with the length of the path and the length of the folder name. I can't even rename the folder with a name as long as what currently exists. After typing in like 5 letters to rename the folder or to create a new folder in the same location, Windows 7 won't let me type anything longer for a folder name. If need be I can post a bunch of screen shots showing this or make a video with Camtasia. I don't fully understand everything about this problem. When I boot into Ubuntu and do a comparison between the folders on different drives they show as being exactly the same. For sure I now trust Ubuntu Nautilus File Manager more than I trust what Windows 7 File Explorer tells me.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  13. sach2

I understand is a combination of the full path and file names exceeding the limit.

I have seen the behaviour you are talking about of not being able to rename a folder to even the existing number of characters if the path is too long and exceeds the character limit.
    I guess Windows has a way of exceeding the limit if need be but it must be unreliable so when it can be avoided it forbids it.

So for instance that folder in its original location is exceeding the character limit for 5 of those files. Now, what would happen if you dragged another copy of that folder (the whole folder and 14 files) into the original location? Technically, you would be adding a folder and files with at least 30 characters in their names into a folder already at the limit but I wonder if you get an error or if somehow Windows compensates?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds