File searching in Vista/Win7 troublesome?

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 24, 2011.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

When searching for a file in Win2000 and WinXP, it was simple. Just right click the folder and select "Search", or use the "Search" button off the Start menu. This changed with Vista (and Win7). I absolutely despise the way the search feature works in Vista and W7. About a year or 18months ago, I came across the free app Agent Ransack. I recommended it to Major Attitude, and now here it is at MG. It's fast, easy to use, and WAY better than the default search in Vista and Win7. I use it on my home PC running X64 Win7, and have a quick-launch button for it down by the Start button. So, if you're looking for a better, faster way to find files in Vista/W7, check out Agent Ransack. You'll be glad you did!

:-D

(BTW - Agent Ransack works with other versions of Windows too, not just Vista and Windows 7)

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I don't like XP's search. It never seems to find what I want and it is slow doing it.
    I have Search Everything by VoidTools working. I usually can stop it from searching the hd because it finds what I've been looking for almost instantaneously.
    http://www.voidtools.com/

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds