file> send>link or page by email

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Dec 19, 2012.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello
    With Win 7 I could go to default programs and send the page by either 'link' or 'page' but with Win 8 nothing there has worked. I tried for 1/2 hour before asking.
    Thank you

2. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

The Default Programs panel in Windows 7 is used to set default programs; it has nothing to do with sending the page by either 'link' or 'page'. "send the page by either 'link' or 'page'" suggests you're talking about a web page. Is that what you mean?

I haven't used Windows 8 yet, so I can't answer questions about its features.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

You are going about this the hard way peter. Just c&p the contents of the address bar into the email - works in all OSs and all browsers. In IE9 in Win 7 it was File > Email link. In IE10 in Win8 it's File > Send. You need to enable the IE menus first.

4. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I understand about c+p the URL or top bar into email. Is this a work around to File>send>link by email?

You wrote,"You need to enable the IE menus first."
    Could you please tell me what to do and if I do will the "page by email and link by email" be active so I can use them? File>send>link by email.
    Should I go to internet options>programs>set programs>mail? I cannot see any other setting.
    Thank you

Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
  5. Earthling

As in every version of Internet Explorer you right click an empty area top right and choose which bars you want showing. Applies in many other programs too. It isn't connected with Default Programs.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

7. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hi Plodr
    This is the last task I have to deal with and Win 8 is pretty much ok.
    When I want to send a page I am viewing to a friend, in Win 7 I used to click file>scroll to send>send link by email or page by email. Occasionally the last two would gray out and I would reset them in default programs and they would go from gray to black. When I clicked on the send page as link, it would send the link to my friend where it would appear in their inbox.
    With Win 8, it does not work that way. It is true I can copy the URL and paste it in my friend's mail but it is awkward and the grayed terms are there for a reason. If I knew how to set it, it would work.
    I did "customize" which sent 'send link as mail' to the right side of the add box but when I clicked on it, it said I either do not have an email program or I need to set the right association or default. I fiddled with that file association once a year ago and made a big error.
    I will join a Win 8 forum and see if they can help me. I know you would if you had Win 8 and thanx for trying.
    Peter

8. Earthling

peter, you cannot use the Send menu item until such time as you have installed and set up an email client, such as Windows Live Mail. Have you done this?

9. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I knew Windows Live Mail was the client but Windows Live Essentials did not come with Win 8 and WLM used to be part of it. Is it supposed to be downloaded seperately??

10. Earthling

You can install any email client you like, it doesn't have to be WLM. I'm using Thunderbird. The point is that the Send link or page by email is meaningless until the system has access to a default email client.

11. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>>I also have chosen Thunderbird.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

12. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Hello

Windows live Essentials in Win 7 does not come with Win 8 - BUT;

You can download Windows Essentials 2012 which is the same and is compatible with Win 8.

It has the same programs as before ; mail, photos, etc. It solves the file, send, link by email I was encountering.

Be sure to make it your default email program and the grayed in area swill be black and functional.

Peter

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds