File transfer from desktop to laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Katieboots, Nov 7, 2006.

1. Katieboots

Katieboots Private E-2

Can anyone tell me how to do this? The laptop is a dell the desktop is a gateway. All I know is they both are running windows XP, I have no other specs on either system.. It is for my supervisor. She wants to transfer all of her banking accounts etc from the desktop to the laptop.

TIA
    Katie

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Well, you can do this multiple ways.

You can use a crossover cable to network the two computers up.
    If you have a router, you can get both computers up, and turn on file sharing.
    You can remove either the desktop hard drive, and hook it up to a usb external drive case.
    Or you can remove the laptop drive and hook it up to a spare ide cable in the computer, via a 2.5" to 3.5" converter.
    Or you can burn the pertient data to a cd, and copy it to the other machine.

3. Katieboots

Katieboots Private E-2

TY, If I do the file sharing, can I transfer the files from the desktop to the laptop and delete the ones on the laptop? She is getting rid of the desktop that is why she wants to transfer all of her stuff to the laptop. Also is a crossover cable the same as like the regular ethernet cable?

TIA
    Katie

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. akhilles

akhilles First Sergeant

Crossover looks the same as typical only crossover will connect 2 computers only. If you have a router, you can set up a local network with xp network wizard.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds