file transfer over home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by green_newbie, May 20, 2004.

1. green_newbie

green_newbie Private First Class

i have a desktop with windows xp home edition

and a laptop with windows xp pro

they are both on a router shareing a net connection (router=MN500)
    i allso have a workgroup set up useing a shared folder so as long as they are on same network connection (laptop moves from locationto location and connection to connection) i can share files... whatever...

but i am looking for a way to transfer files and programs over to the desktop
    (so that the laptop doesn't have to be there in order to use the file)

I am sure there is a way to do this but not really sure how.
    i don't wanna hve to burn a cd every time i want to transfer a program or file or whatever from one puter to the other puter.
    I have a book i am sure would have an answer to this but i can't seem to locate it right now.
    anyhelp?

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

Well, assuming you know the admin logon and passowrd to the desktop, you should be able to access the desktop machine by entering "\\{ip of desktop}\x$" in the Explorer address bar of the laptop where 'x' is the drive letter you want. Those are administrative shares that all XP machines should have. No need to share a folder.

Alternately, you can map a network drive. From Windows Explorer, select Tools --> Map Network Drive. Then type in the same URL as above, and pick a local drive letter.

4. green_newbie

green_newbie Private First Class

i did this it asks me for password, i didn't have a password set on the laptop so i didn't enter one here. wouldn' tlet me past...
    so i just created a password on the laptop and then tried it on the box
    didn't let me past..... i logged out of the admin user account (only account) on the laptop and loged back it, it asks me for password to log in i enter it
    and log in fine
    so password is correct but it will not let me past.

is it a differant password? not the admin login password

BTW the username field was allready filled out for me computer2/guest
    computer2 is admin login (my guest account is shut off)

any help is nice thanks for the help so far
    two very helpfull posts

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

If you're on the laptop and you enter the URL for the desktop, you have to enter username "administrator" and use the password for the desktop's admin account. You're trying to access the desktop, so you have to satisfy the desktop's security to gain access. The Guest account cannot access administrative shares; only administrators can.

Also, check your connection properties and be sure that you have both the "Client for MS Networks" client and "File and Prinster Sharing for MS Networks" service installed.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds