File transfer problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by jimpeel, Oct 2, 2004.

1. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

I tried this in the hardware forum with no result. Maybe the software Geeks can help me.

A friend has a new laptop and wants to transfer files to it from his PC. Both computers have USB type A ports and both have ethernet connectors.

The OS for the PC is WIN98 and the laptop is XP Home.

What is the best way to transfer files and does he need a software program to do this; or will Computer A recognize Computer B as a virtual drive and he can drag-n-drop the files?

I searched on "file transfer" but got no result that helps me with this problem.

2. jarcher

jarcher I can't handle a title

3. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

Thanks, jarcher, I'll pass this on to him.

4. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Maybe Laplink, if you don't mind paying.

http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&num=20&hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=laplink&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=lang_en&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

165,000 links. Maybe other recommendations as well in that 165000. Bazza
    PS: Not sure if Laplink still offer a free trial version. Baz
    ===

5. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

It is probably available on one of the bittorrent sites; but I'd rather not, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

J

6. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

No, I'm J and you're J. See the difference?

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Sorry Jim, I don't know what you mean. Did you try the google link I gave. There must be something there if you don't want to use laplink. Type in file transfer, or type in backup, in MG search box, or in google and you will have thousands to choose from. Bazza

===

8. jimpeel

jimpeel Sergeant

It was an offhand comment on your stating "Maybe Laplink, if you don't mind paying" in that LapLink is probably out on one of the bittorrent sites and that I could download it for free if I was the type who steals software; but I'm not, so I wouldn't be inclined to do so.

I did look at the Goolink and will look farther when I get time.

Thanks for the info.

J ... er ... I mean ... Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds