file type for Run a DLL as an App changed to my browser

Discussion in 'Software' started by conceptualclarity, Jan 3, 2014.

1. I keep getting the message from WinPatrol Plus that a change has been made from using Run a DLL as an App for a file type association to using my browser (Maxthon). It asks "Is this change OK"? I always click No, but I keep getting that message over and over.

How do I get rid of this idea of using my browser for those files, which seems to have no merit to me?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Click yes once then go in and change it from running.
    Intel insists on putting an icon near the clock so I regularly have to do this in WinPatrol. Because I get tired of clicking no a few dozen times.

3. Thanks. How do I do that?

4. rustysavage

rustysavage Sergeant Major

I hate to presume but I think ploder interpreted your question as something having to do with apps that insists on being added to the autostart menu and loading as a tray icon. With the really persistent apps, all you can do is to go ahead and allow them to place an item in the autostart section of the registry.... and then you run something like AutoRuns and uncheck the entry from the list of apps that you will allow to load during boot up. The entry is present so the persistent app is happy, yet it doesn't load so you are happy. The happy app doesn't make any more requests so WinPatrol is happy.

In any case, what exactly does the message say when it asks you repeatedly? I ask because you can probably answer yes to the question then track down the registry key where the info is being stored and change it to back to no or null or whatever. I had something similar happen with WinPatrol and solved it this way. Unfortunately, I didn't jot down any notes about what I did exactly. I just now searched the registry for "dll as app" but didn't get any hits.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Don't click No at that point.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds